installing printer!?!?!?

chefjuan 14:08 19 Apr 05

I am trying to install my lexmark x1180 onto my pc which is running winxp. every time i try to install it an error msg pops up saying operation could not be completed because the print spooler service is not running. could anyone help?? thanks sean.

Yoda Knight 14:10 19 Apr 05

what OS ?

chefjuan 14:18 19 Apr 05

windows xp

Giggle n' Bits 14:31 19 Apr 05

check in control panel in the Printer settings and is there any other Printers showing. If yes go into the Add/remove progs and uninstall any old Printers.

Giggle n' Bits 14:33 19 Apr 05

This error occurs because the Spooler service has not been started or has stopped working.

To start the Spooler service again,

1. Click Start, and then click Control Panel.

2. Double-click Administrative Tools, and then click Services.

3. Double-click the Printer Spooler service, and then change the startup type to Automatic. This sets the Spooler service to start automatically when you restart the computer.

4. If you want to start the spooler service immediately, click the Start button under the Service Status field.

jack 14:33 19 Apr 05

Some printers of the USB kind need the driver software to be installed before hooking in the device.

So
In this instance remove the software and unplug the printer .
Re boot and install the Software, plug the printer when prompted.
Does that do it?

Another way is more or less the reverse.

Plug the printer in and wait for Windoze prompts.
The point is Windoze has to control the operation
rather than you[me/us].

chefjuan 14:45 19 Apr 05

i did as you said chip and noticed it was already set to start automatically, however where the service status bit is it says stopped. i clicked on start and it says:'error 1068 the dependecy service or group failed to start'

woodchip 14:47 19 Apr 05

did you load the cd software and drivers before you connected the usb printer

chefjuan 14:48 19 Apr 05

yes

woodchip 14:54 19 Apr 05

Print Spooler, Go to Start\Settings\Control Panel\Admin\Services\ go down the list and set Print Spooler to Automatic in Properties, and start the run service. now try loading your printer

jammin 15:41 19 Apr 05

was your printer previously running on another os ie win 98?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…