Installing print driver from memory stick

Paul M 19:48 18 Nov 07

I am trying to install a print driver for a Lexmark X4580 printer onto a second computer which doesn't have a CD drive. I have copied the contents of the CD onto a USB memory stick, inserted the stick into the second computer's USB socket and tried to run the setup launcher. There is a file in the root directory called setup, which I thought would be an exe file and just need clicking on. Although I didn't need to do this with the CD, as autoplay ran it when the CD was inserted, I have tried clicking on the icon from the CD, just to try it, and it ran the setup program - so why won't it run from the memory stick, please? I have also tried Start, run D:\setup and D:\setup.exe(Windows XP). Help!

I am Spartacus 19:52 18 Nov 07

Copy the files to the hard drive and run setup from there to see if that makes a difference.

Brian-336451 19:59 18 Nov 07

Why not go to the Lexmark website and download the requisite files straight onto the memory stick, then you've got the lot.

Strawballs 20:37 18 Nov 07

Go to control panel > new hardware when asked where to look point it towards the usb stick

Strawballs 20:39 18 Nov 07

Sorry other way is to plug the printer in and when it detects new hardware nd try's to install driver you can point it towards the stick

Paul M 07:36 19 Nov 07

Plugged the printer in and it detected it then installed from stick. Many thanks for all your help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…