Installing PATA/IDE to SATA system

Tangy 22:27 15 Mar 06

I bought a new PC with SATA hard disk. I would like to add an old PATA/IDE hard disk to my new system. How could I do this?

User-312386 22:32 15 Mar 06

Your new system should have an IDE slot for the CD-ROM/DVD-Rewriter

terryf 01:20 16 Mar 06

Look at click here When I did a similar thing I had to set both drives to master, I can't remember exactly how I got the system working but it took 'blood, sweat and tears' to figure it out. Best of luck. Couldn't use the parallel cable to the DVD drive because the second drive was physically in the wrong place to be connected to this cable

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:39 16 Mar 06

connect HDD to IDE cable as normal set as either master or slave depending on whether you have another drive (DVD CD HDD) on the channel.

make sure the PC is set to boot from the SATA drive. To do this make the first boot device SATA if the option is available.
If not you have two options: HD0 - If there are no IDE HDs present, or SCSI if you do plan on running an IDE HD as a secondary device.

Tangy 15:19 30 Mar 06

Thanks for all your help so far.

What about the power side? How much power does a HDD need? Would my system be able to power another HDD? My PC's a Dell Dimension 3100.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:56 30 Mar 06

You will have sufficient power to feed the HDD, there will be a spare molex plug D shaped to fit either HDD or CD/DVD.

Tangy 18:46 30 Mar 06

Thanks Fruit Bat. But how could I work out the power supply consumption of my system myself?

I checked out my PC. The PSU supplies 108W & the HDD I want to install is Maxtor DiamondMax VL20.

Tangy 22:37 31 Mar 06

Could anyone help?

phono 23:01 31 Mar 06

Looked at the Dell site and it states that the PSU has an output of 250 Watts, you should probably be okay, as long as you are still using the onboard graphics and haven't added a very power hungry video card or other such devices.

Tangy 19:32 09 Apr 06

My old hard drive used to be the master drive. So now with my new PC, would I need to change the jumper settings?

FormatKing 20:02 09 Apr 06

I have a dell sys and in bios it gives choice of sata,raid,pata or combined (both sata and pata)
sata drives do not share cables so do not require jumpers so if you only have 1 pata drive set it as master and look for combined option in bios you should then be able to see drive listed under pata

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How VR is being used to simulate space

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now