Installing OS on old laptop- can I use PC & caddy

kpmatthews 21:49 06 Nov 07

hi i have a really old laptop with no drives and no usb connections. i want to install an os on it. can i remove the drive and install the os onto the laptop drive using a usb caddy and my pc? my pc has vista and i want to install win98.

if no, any suggestions on how this can be done? can i get an external cd-rom drive that doesnt require usb or firewire?

laptop is a thinkpad 560

woodchip 21:51 06 Nov 07

No as the Drivers will not match the Laptop

woodchip 21:53 06 Nov 07

What you could do is, if loading 98se copy the 98se folder from CD to the Hard Drive then fit it in Laptop and run the setup from 98se folder in Dos

kpmatthews 22:07 06 Nov 07

ooh good idea :-)

how do i get the laptop into dos?

it loads with a screen where i can test certain aspects of the pc (memory, screen, etc)

woodchip 22:15 06 Nov 07

If as I said you are loading 98se go hear for a boot disc tenth file from top download it then put a floppy in you drive and double click on the download to create a boot disc, click here

Then start Laptop with the floppy disc You can select no CD Rom Support. It will finish at A:\> type C: it should change to C:\> if you have a Partition and it's Formated Fat32. Then type at C:\> CD 98 it should change to

C:\98> type setup and press enter after it as scandisked press x it will then start setup

kpmatthews 22:17 06 Nov 07

great stuff thanks. beginning to wish i'd paid for a floppy drive with my new pc :-(

woodchip 14:18 07 Nov 07

You can get them cheap, From a computer fair you may pick one up for £1

kpmatthews 01:57 09 Nov 07

i got a mate to do the boot disk. i can get as far as starting to install win98 but it comes up with 'cannot find setupx.dll'. ive searched on the win98 disc and found the hidden file and copied and pasted onto the hard drive in c:\win98 with all the other cab files but it still doesnt find it. is win98 the correct file to paste it into? can i copy files from os cd to external drive another way other than copy and paste?

kpmatthews 01:58 09 Nov 07

"is win98 the correct file to paste it into?"

i meant folder

kpmatthews 09:36 09 Nov 07

at the moment i'm just copying and pasting the files from the win98 disk to the hdd. im not sure if this should even work...?

can i create an iso image on the hdd and use dos to perform an autorun? if so should i create an iso in its own partition?

kpmatthews 09:38 09 Nov 07

the hdd is only 1gb. the win98 installation files take up half of that. is there enough room on the hdd to install win98? should i then be able to remove the installation files without killing it? thanks :-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Prehistoric Britain is laid out in these Royal Mail stamp illustrations

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…