//some 3rd party need geo

Installing o/s with no startup disc.

phil 16:36 16 Feb 03

I've got an old laptop with a corrupt Windows 95 on it so I decided to install 98.

First off I tried to make a startup disc but it wouldn't let me. No command file it said.

Luckily I thought I would just be able to insert a 98 disc and install over the top. Wrong. My 98 was a full install and not an upgrade disc.

I have an old 98 startup disc off an old pc so I thought I'd go with that.

After reformatting I put in the startup disc, selected start with CD support and then.....nothing.

One problem is that I have to take the floppy drive off the machine to slot the CD drive in so I think it's losing all ramdrive info when I do this.

I have tried to get it to boot from the CD but it just hangs.

What do I need to do?

1st RHA 16:40 16 Feb 03

you may need to get your hands on an external drive to get you past this

« Ravin » 16:46 16 Feb 03

dunno if it helps but you can download a start up disk from here click here normally when you boot from the floppy when you get the A:\ prompt you have to change the drive to the cd drive and type setup.exe

like cd d: and at the d:\prompt type setup.exe

woodchip 16:47 16 Feb 03

click here first one at the top of the page

phil 16:52 16 Feb 03

I tried d:\setup.exe and d:\everything else i could think of without any luck.

The laptop is an old Toshiba Satellite and I downloaded all the drivers (including a startup)for it off their website. But all I got was non system disc.

Lú-tzé 16:59 16 Feb 03

Can you get into the bios and set it to boot from the CD-ROM? That might be your only chance as it stands at the moment.

Do not remove the flopy drive while the pc is on - it can cause damage.

Lú-tzé 17:01 16 Feb 03

PS when the cd is in, does the light on the edge come on to tell you that it is being read?

« Ravin » 17:12 16 Feb 03

sorry if i'm being obvious but d was just an example. is that what your cd drive is labeled too?

and i think that it won't work removing the floppy and then inserting the cd drive. you'll have to get a bootable cd and try with that.

as Lú-tzé said see if your bios allows you to boot up from cd's.

« Ravin » 17:14 16 Feb 03

maybe if you can post back the exact model number of the lap top someone here can give you better advice on how to reinstal the o/s

phil 17:26 16 Feb 03

I have changed the bios to boot from the cd but that didn't work.

Laptop is a Toshiba Satellite 220CS - 16mb - 1.9 gig - p133

« Ravin » 13:49 17 Feb 03

^^^^^

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…