installing os on formatted laptop

drayton 10:29 18 May 04

have got s\h laptop with formatted hard drive.I would like to install win98, have put in disc and get c:\ with flashing cursor. now what?
thanks for any help

TomJerry 10:44 18 May 04

If you got Win98 OEM (or full) version, it can only install on a "new" handdrive, i.e. reformarted and repartitioned. You need to parpare it with fdisk etc which normally on flopyy disk. If you got upgrade version, you may be able to go to win98 CD and type setup to start. on c:\ type d:, it should get to CD drive if your HDD only has one partition.

If you got original Win98CD, it should be bootable, you can get into bios setting and make CD the first boot device and boot the system from CD, and then just follow instruction. If the CD is not bootable, you need to boot from a floppy and go to cd drive, find setup.exe file and run it. If you do not have a bootable disk, you can download one from bootdisk click here.

drayton 16:22 18 May 04

trying to boot up from startup floppy I get
1. start computer with cdrom support

2. start computer without cdrom support

etc
on choosing option 1 I end up with A:\ prompt
I have tried typing in d:\ then enter then typing setup and enter also tried E, F, C,
I now get CDR101: Not ready reading drive E
Abort, Retry, Fail?

Fruit Bat 16:38 18 May 04

A:\ will be your floppy drive

C:\ you HDD

D:\ a ram drive setup by the floppy boot disk where your tools are stored

E:\ is now temporarily your CD drive

the error message is telling you it cannot read the Win98 cd in the drive try cleaning the Win98 CD (soft cloth) and the drive with a Cd lens cleaner if you have one. Then replace and try E:\setup again

drayton 20:41 18 May 04

brilliant thanks very much everything now ok.
thanks tomjerry and fruit bat

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…