Installing older games on new PC's

yeahb0y 16:49 26 Mar 04

I have recently purchased a new PC (2.7 GHz Intel Celeron, 256MB DDR). I don't know enough about computers to be able to down load games that are on floppy disks. I would like to install 'Overlord' an old game from 1995. I remember doing it through MS DOS about 8 years ago!!! But I have no idea how to download the disks and run the game through windows?!?!? Is there anyone that can help me?!

Many thanks

bremner 16:54 26 Mar 04

If you have XP I would be very surprised if it had any chance of working.

You can try the compatability mode - right click on the exe file and try setting it from there.

yeahb0y 17:06 26 Mar 04

Thanks for the quick reply!! (it is an XP)

Is there a chance you can explain that in abit more detail, i'm still getting to know my way around this new computer.

Totally-braindead 18:15 26 Mar 04

If you do a search in Help and Support for compatability mode it'll enable you to start the wizard, it lets the program think its running under another Operating System such as Windows 95. However if it is a DOS game then as bremner says there is very little chance that it will work.
PS The wizard instructions are clear so you should be able to try it no prob.

Totally-braindead 18:16 26 Mar 04

Meant to say compatibility but just tried it and it finds it anyway whether you spell it right or not.

Paranoid Android 23:12 26 Mar 04

click here

click here

The Thunder Pack Platinum from Stormcloud Creations contains Overlord as one of the four bundled games. Is this the same game ? If so, it supports "Windows 95+" which is encouraging.

I have read elsewhere that v1.1 supports up to Windows XP, but the link was broken.

Try downloading the demo and see if it's what you are looking for.

Paranoid Android 23:15 26 Mar 04

As a general tip for old games, visit the VOGONS forums (Very Old Games On New Systems) click here

I now have Tomb Raider 1 running in XP at resolution 1024 X 768 with sound.

Eargasm 23:42 26 Mar 04

Thanks for the vogons link.
In my favourites

Paranoid Android 10:45 27 Mar 04

Just don't let them read you their poetry......

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…