installing 'old' nvidia card drivers

pookie 12:52 30 Mar 06

Hi

I myself have an ati card.

Friend has old system for emails/word/photoshop/etc. His graphic card is gforce2MX. he keeps getting error messages and microsoft say to install latest graphic drivers. for ncvidia cards is it best to uninstall old drivers first (from add/remove programs) or to install new drivers over exisitng ones? i know it's a very old card and am just about to start looking for the 'latest' drivers.

many thanks

P

rmcqua 12:55 30 Mar 06

The nVidia drivers are backwards compatible and I have successfully installed them over older drivers, with no problems. There will probably be some folks who insist that you must remove the older drivers first, and this is generally true, but I have not found it necessary with nVidia.

pookie 12:55 30 Mar 06

many thanks for the quick reply - cheers

ACOLYTE 12:57 30 Mar 06

I have done it both ways,and both have worked fine for me,infact now all i do when i update is just install the new driver over the top of the old one.This works ok for me but i have know people that have had problems doing this so i would advise you to uninstall the old driver first.You may also find that the really new drivers may not be totally compatable with this card so i would check before you download what cards are supported.

ACOLYTE 12:58 30 Mar 06

Just checked for you and the Gforce2 mx is supported by the latest driver have fun)

pookie 13:11 30 Mar 06

just got it - what great service from you guys

:-)

P

Stuartli 13:29 30 Mar 06

It is best to completely remove any other nVidia drivers before installing new ones.

Full advice on exactly how to do this, along with installing Driver Cleaner Pro (freeware) to complete the task, can be found at the excellent TweakGuides website:

See a little way down this link:

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…