installing oem windows xp alongside windows 98

jwd 18:49 29 Nov 03

i've bought a genuine version of xp home oem and was wondering how to get it to load alongside 98 as i don't wish to lose everything on my computer any ideas thanks

Diodorus Siculus 19:03 29 Nov 03

You will need another partition - then follow the advice here: click here - just exchange the win2k for XP.

Diodorus Siculus 19:07 29 Nov 03

Sorry, that was probably a bit too brief.

The process is called "Dual Booting" (i.e. booting your PC with an option of two operating systems).

As you have Win98 installed, you can easily install XP beside it. But as I say, you will need another partition - the best program for that is PartitionMagic from Powerquest Corporation, but there are other ways of doing it.

When you have created the second partition, boot your PC with the XP cd in the drive and follow the instructions for an advanced install. Then choose to install onto the new partition.

It is a simple enough process if you take care what you are doing; just back up all critical data before going ahead.

jwd 19:10 29 Nov 03

thanks very much for the prompt answer, looks like i'll be brave ans have a go at it now cheers

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…