Installing OEM DVD Drives to new PC

Kneejerkreactionman 01:01 11 Nov 04

I am about to order a new PC without any DVD/CD drives as I need DVD RAM compatability. My plan is to buy an LG4120 DVD Burner and a DVD Rom drive capable of reading DVD RAM. What I need to know is for a non-technical person how straight forward will this be? I have just come across the concept of OEM products and wondered if I could totally confuse myself by buying OEM drives. Will any other cables etc be needed?Looking at other posts it seems that I might then need to purchase additional software as well. Any advice on this course of action would be gratefully received.

LastChip 01:40 11 Nov 04

Is meant for system builders, and normally excludes such mundane things as screws!

If your new to the system build thing, then a retail drive would probably be a better starting point and in all honesty, your probably only looking at a pound or two difference in price. If you don't have software, that's worth the extra alone!

ventanas 08:38 11 Nov 04

I agree with LastChip. There is not that great a price difference. My dvd re-writer is OEM, but it was a replacement, so I already had all the "extras." The screws can be difficult to find as I discovered when those from the old drive would not fit the new. It won't matter if you buy retail because screws will be supplied. I would check with whoever you are getting your pc from that all IDE cables are supplied. I have seen pc's with cables only for the installed drives.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…