Installing Norton Internet Security 2008

Larry Lamb 14:55 19 Apr 08

Whenever I try to install Norton Internet Security 2008 on my laptop in Windows XP I get the following message - "To continue Norton Internet Security Setup, please close the following program Install Queue" I have stopped all startup programs using msconfig, also using task manager and there are no other programs running. So how do I close Install Queue?

sunny staines 16:14 19 Apr 08

i think this is left over bits from a failed install. run ccleaner to tidy up any loose ends left behind on your hard drive.and try the intall again.

Larry Lamb 14:16 20 Apr 08

Thanks for you response to my query, unfortunately after trying CCleaner to both clean and check the register on my laptop I am still having the same problem. Any more ideas anyone?

Lee.C 17:29 20 Apr 08

Some other 'ideas'....

The only reference to "install queue" I can find on my XP machine all relate to network settings.
If there's a way to temporarily disable your network adaptor, I wonder if rebooting the pc and trying the installation again might clear it?

Have you ever attached any external hardware to laptop that involves data moving around (e.g. printer, mp3 player, palm reader)? It might be that something hadn't finished transferring when it got disconnected last time?

Is anything regularly reporting as an error/warning in Event Viewer? (Control Panel/Admin Tools)?

Do you have any other security programs installed?

Back in 'msconfig' (this time under the 'services' tab)... Temporarily disable all non-Microsoft services, reboot, and try the installation again.

ianeon 22:20 20 Apr 08

click here I don't know if this is helpful

Larry Lamb 09:10 21 Apr 08

Thanks for your responses, sorry I did not get back to you yesterday, I tried all of Lee.Cs suggestions without any success including using msconfig to disable start up programs and services which are non microsoft services. I have had a look and downloaded those register cleaners that ianeon suggested (I have used CCleaner to clean the registry)may be usful, I will try those when I get home this evening. Thanks once again for all your help.

Larry Lamb 19:45 22 Apr 08

I disabled all start up progrmas in msconfig and disabled all reference to networking in services, also uninstalled Windows Defender, I had seen on a forum that this often caused problems, tried again and was successfull installing Norton Internet Security. Thanks for all your help in solving the problem.

Larry

RobCharles1981 19:54 22 Apr 08

Norton Internet Security 2008 Causes more problems than it actually Does!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…