Installing NOD32

Sirpad 19:08 26 Oct 05

I'm in the process of setting up a new Dell PC that came with the trial version of Norton. I haven't activated it (Norton) yet so it sits there Disabled.

I want to log into the NOD32 website and download their AV before I log into anything else. I assume this will suffice to ensure my machine is virus-free from the very beginning.

Should I remove Norton altogether before I do this or is the fact that it is Disabled enough to ensure there isn't any conflict between the two.

961 19:12 26 Oct 05

You need an active virus checker to go on the net. Either download NOD or some other virus checker on another machine or activate Norton (not)

Norton is difficult to remove so you are better with something else but trawling the net for 5 mins without an active virus checker will cause trouble

stalion 19:14 26 Oct 05

make sure norton is turned off and you will be ok.Also make sure you have a firewall enabled and spywareblaster installed click here

Sirpad 19:49 26 Oct 05

Thanks guys.
The first site I'll going into is the NOD32 site so this should cover me (right?).
XP has a firewall and as far installig spywareblaster...I believe the newest version of NOD32 does it all (adware and spyware).

Sirpad 22:29 26 Oct 05

Any more suggestions....trying to get this done tonight and am a bit of a novice.

i.tech 22:32 26 Oct 05

I wouldn't rely on XP firewall - it's extermly holy - and it lets out all reports sent by MS products out (micorsoft are riddled with there own version of spyware to get an idea of what your up too) Zone Alarm is pretty decent as far as free products although I'd recommend F-Secure if your willing to spend some money.

trisonic 08:09 27 Oct 05

After you have downloaded and installed NOD32, go to setup and click under Threat Protection Modules => NOD32 => In-Depth Analysis, stop the scan that will start and go to Setup, tick all the boxes (some are not necessary but tick them all anyway). Click on Scanning Targets and select the drives to scan. Then click on Scan and Clean.
This will give your system the deepest scan available.

Dont forget to download the latest updates before you start, after you have set the programme up it will automatically update each time you connect to the Internet.

Trisonic

Sirpad 12:47 31 Oct 05

Thanks guys. Have uninstalled Norton, NOD32 is running fine and will replace XP firewall with Zone Alarm today (they only give a 15 day trial now though?).

One last question:

Is Spyblaster the same as Spywareblater?

vinnyT 13:51 31 Oct 05

click here

Hi, Sirpad, the above link takes you to the page where you download the free version of ZA.

When you install it, one of the pages gives you the choice to try the pro version or to use the free plain version, you takes your choice.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…