Installing New Video Card

Tom2943 17:02 24 Nov 07

Hi,

I am using a Fujitsu Siemens Scaleo P, and I have just bought a new Inno3D 8600GT. However, upon taking the PC apart, I cannot see where to install the card. Can anyone please reccommend a website to help, or give any tips?

Thanks

MAJ 17:16 24 Nov 07

Is this it click here Tom2943? If so it has a PCI Express interface, you'll need a full size PCI Express expansion slot on your motherboard. click here

Gongoozler 17:21 24 Nov 07

What socket slots does your computer have? According to the spec I have found, you should have 1 PCI Express x16, 1 AGP x8 and 3 PCI. Your Inno3D 8600GT should fit in the PCI Express x16. It's possible that this position is shared with another slot - perhaps the AGP one. The PCI Express x16 slot will be a different colour from the others, possibly black.

Tom2943 17:23 24 Nov 07

Thank you, that seems right - so would I need to buy a PCI to PCIe Expansion? Is this possible? I'm sorry, my computer knowledge doesn't amount to much.

Tom2943 17:25 24 Nov 07

Sorry, ignore the above post - I did not refresh before I replied, and did not see Gonzooler's reply. Those specs are probably right, and I do see a black slot which may or may not fit the card - however, the slot is in the middle of the PC, and there are no gaps through which the video card could connect to the monitor.

Gongoozler 17:26 24 Nov 07

I'm pretty sure that your Inno3D 8600GT is a PCI-E card, so it should fit the PCI-E slot on your motherboard - no conversion needed.

Gongoozler 17:28 24 Nov 07

Place the card against the slot. The back of the case should have a push-out section that will expose a space for the graphics card bracket.

Tom2943 17:33 24 Nov 07

Sorry, I'm obviously thinking of something completely different - the only slots I saw in the position at the back of the PC, with the push-out slots were PCI slots. Is there any way of picking up a cheap and easy to use converter, or is this not possible?

MAJ 17:40 24 Nov 07

Can you, if you have a digital camera, post a pcture of your motherboard?

Tom2943 17:47 24 Nov 07

I do, but having checked it out earlier and now being able to recognise the PCIE slot I can confirm there's no PCI Express slots anywhere near the back of the PC. The only other slot is about two the length of a PC slot, attached to the motherboard. What could this be?

Gongoozler 17:49 24 Nov 07

Can you put a picture of the back of your computer, preferably one each from the inside and from outside the computer here on ImageShack, and then post a link to it click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…