Installing a new version of Windows

Greengo 15:41 06 May 06

I currently have aversion of windows running on my system.I'm about to install a new version of Windows( not upgrade). Do I need to worry about partioning during the installation phase? Pleas advise of the correct procedure?

Skills 15:44 06 May 06

What version of windows are you going from > to? Do you wish to keep the exsiting installation of windows on there?

Greengo 16:07 06 May 06

Windows XP Pro is already installed, I need to wipe it and installs another copy of Windows XP pro.

The system is saying that the files I need are currently in use. Help?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:11 06 May 06

Why do you need to wipe it?

You can change the product (serial number)
User and company name etc. without a complete reinstall.

Greengo 18:19 06 May 06

Have programmes that interfere with games etc, that can't be found to delete. Is a complete re-install the best solution. I have started the installation and it says if i exit now setup will still be required, i can't go back. It says either delete partition, add to existing, or place on unpartitioned. I can't delete the partition because there are files needed for setup, i can't add to unpartitiond space because there isn't enough room and adding two operating systems, windows says is not reccommended.

Skills 18:29 06 May 06

Do you need anything that is on the hard drive?

If not then just delete the partions make a new partion and do a clean install. If you need files off the drive exit setup it will be ok as long as you havent deleted or changed any partions boot back into windows copy off the files and then do a clean installation.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:32 06 May 06

from click here

10b If the hard drive or partition has a previous installation of XP you want to remove, choose to delete the partition by pressing "D". You will then be prompted to create a new partition in the empty space. This will remove all data from the deleted space.
If setup returns a message the partition contains the setup files and cannot be deleted use the info from this link: Delete NON-DOS Partition click here

Greengo 18:33 06 May 06

I Won't allow me to delete the partition, what my next step?

Skills 18:37 06 May 06

Download killdisk from click here make the bootable cd or floppy.

That program will then delete all partion info and files from the drive. Restart with the XP disk make new partion format and install.

Greengo 18:48 06 May 06

The message i get when i press D to delete partition is:

Setup is unable to perfrom requested operations on the selected partition. The partition contains temporary setup files that are required to complete the installation. To continue, press Enter.

Should I go ahead?

wobblymike 19:02 06 May 06

There is an easier way to do this.

Identify the manufacturer of your HDD (Maxtor Seagate etc) then download their utility from the appropriate website (e.g. maxtor is called maxblast) This tool will format and partition your hdd for you in seconds and you can then install windows in the normal way. If you need more post back

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date and features: Google Allo is…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…