installing new system

capnsofa 18:08 02 Jan 06

I have recently purchased an Acer 1800 laptop with Windows XP. After working with Windows 98 for some years I find the whole system brilliant, if somewhat quicker than what I am used to!
However, because of the vast difference in the systems, I am amazed that there is not more advice on how to operate XP. I have a 'Users Guide' but this generally tells me what the computer will do, NOT how to do it! I have obtained a book from the local libary, but surely I should not have to resort to this after spending several hundred pounds on a machine. Is there any way in which I can obtain a more explanatory guide?
One query which might get a quick answer - I have installed Excel and find that I keep getting the Shortcut Bar appearing every time I start up. I can, of course, delete it, but it is a nuisance and I would to banish it forever.
Suggestions please.

VoG II 18:12 02 Jan 06
  capnsofa 18:23 02 Jan 06

Many thanks for the prompt reply - this will be a great help.
However, I do feel this situation is a failing on the part of of ACER and I will be writing to them expressing my thoughts.

tallguy5650 10:47 07 Jan 06

Most computer manufacturers ship their equipment with no operating system. The operating system is installed by the company that supplies to retail i.e PC World, Dixons etc.

Click Start>Accessories>Tour XP for an idea as to what XP can do.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…