Installing new SATA hard drive...

Simsy 07:06 29 Jan 10

Folks,

I've just taken delivery of a new PC for my dad, (which I've not even powered up yet), and an extra HDD to install in it.

I've never worked with SATA devices before... I know I'm going to have to get a sata lead to connect the device to the motherboard, and connect power to it...

One thing I'm not sure about is the Master/slave situation...

I believe I've heard/read that there is no such thing as master/slave difference with sata devices, and there are no jumpers to set. Is that right?

That being the case, how do I distinguish between the two drives for boot up purposes? I'm guessing that I get into the BIOS and there will be a choice between SATA sockets in the Boot Order menu... Is that right? (Sorry if this seems lazy... I'm trying to get it straight in my head before I start!)

Assuming it is as simple as that I guess I can just find the drive and then format/partition it once I'm in windows?

I've built a few PCs before, but not for a while, and never using SATA devices. I'd welcome any things I should look out for!

Thanks in advance,

Regards,

Simsy

User-312386 08:22 29 Jan 10

Your absolutely correct, there are no jumpers for master/slave. If you want this drive as back up then just connect it up, boot into windows and format it. If you do want it as boot drive, then go into the bios and change its boot order to first boot drive listed under hard drives.

Simsy 08:47 29 Jan 10

But I'm not sure how they'll be listed in the BIOS... Will I see, for example, SATA1 SATA2 SATA3 SATA4 ??

Thanks,

Regards,

Simsy

User-312386 08:51 29 Jan 10

On the front page of the bios you will see sata 1 etc etc but in the boot options you will see the physical drives name such as STS23536 just make a note of the drives proper name that is printed on the HDD

Simsy 08:56 29 Jan 10

That's the sort of thing I didn't know! Might have to be a bit of trial and error as both HDD are the same.

Still... at least I now know what to expect.

Thanks for your help.
I probably wont get into this until after the weekend, as i'm workign all weekend.
Hopefully I won't need to be back!

Regards,

Simsy

gengiscant 10:20 29 Jan 10

Had a similar problem as yours, new build and first time sata, 2 hdds just plugged them in and hoped for the best.
1 hdd is a biggie, 1 terabyte and the other a smaller 250GB for backup. I just plugged them into the first sata sockets I saw on the mobo.
Have now, as you mentioned got them in sata 1 and sata 2 ports, which makes it a little easier and neater.

I intend installing a SSD drive this weekend which will involve a bit of figuring out as I intend it to have just the O/S and applications on.

Simsy 11:48 29 Jan 10

Good luck with the SSD... I like the idea of that, but I guess they're a bit pricey at the moment.

Good luck,

Regards,

Simsy

ventanas 12:15 29 Jan 10

Simsy, I have twice added a second SATA drive to a PC. All I did was screw it in to the cradle and connect the cable.
Both are fine.

Simsy 12:37 29 Jan 10

Nice to know.

I'll report back on this next week..!

Regards,

Simsy

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…