installing new ram

the old man 20:16 14 May 07

Evening peeps.
Built new rig just after xmas and have currently two sticks of 512mb of ram. Just bought a 1gb stick as using Vista, really enjoying it by the way, and I was wondering if I should be aware of what channels I should have the ram. What I mean is, I think, at the moment I think each 512mb stick is in 1 and 3. Should I move them around so that they in 1 and 2 and put the new 1gb in 3.
Still not sure if I have explained it how I am thinking it. Will soon find out though.

MAJ 20:36 14 May 07

You don't give the name of the motherboard, the old man. That might be important because sometimes it is required that memory is installed in matched pairs. The usual convention (when not installed in matched pairs) is to have the largest module in the first socket, next largest in the next socket, and so on. In your case, the 1GB module in the first socket and the two 512MB modules in the next two sockets.

the old man 20:54 14 May 07

Mobo is an MSI 975X Platinum series MS-7246. Stupid me has just read in the manual for Mobo that they advise against installing 3 sticks as this can cause memory failure.
Never heard anything so ridiculous.

MAJ 21:03 14 May 07

Yes it looks like that board requires that you install memory in matching pairs, the old man. click here

LABMAN 21:04 14 May 07

I've never heard of it damaging the ram but if it's designed for dual channel memory it wont work properly with 3 sticks in.

MAJ 21:11 14 May 07

Sorry, the old man, I think that was the wrong link. Here's your's. click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…