Installing a new Q6600 Heatsink....

toon_mad 18:31 05 Nov 08

Hi, ive just closed this thread click here as it was getting slightly messy, and the original problem was fixed.

Moving on, i require some help or advice in regards to installing a new Blue Orb II heatsink for my Q6600. My motherboard is an Asus P5N-E SLI, with the Blue Orb package i have been given some brackets to attach to the motherboard, i guess the heatsink is mounted on this. My questions are:

1) Do i need to remove the motherboard to fit the brackets, if so, how do i do it, should i do it myself, and is there risks of doing it myself?

2) I am spartacus recently advised me that i need Arctic Silver 5 thermal paste for my Q6600 CPU. The Blue Orb came with its own thermal compound, would this suffice?

3) In regards to the thermal paste, do i need to remove the existing thermal paste? If so would say, click here do the job?

I think that about covers it, sorry for the long post, it was also easier to make a new thread, the last became a 2 problemed subject.

Thanks very much in advanced everyone

I am Spartacus 18:42 05 Nov 08

The thermal paste you have with the Orb will be fine. Arctic silver is good but there's probably only a couple of degrees difference between that and what you have (at a guess).

Can you link to the Blue Orb so I can see the brackets you refer to. If they don't have a push pin then the motherboard will probably have to be removed. As it's an old design I hope it isn't the even worse socket 478 mounting than the push pin one is.

Isopropyl Alcohol is perfect for cleaning.

citadel 18:44 05 Nov 08

you remove the old paste with tim cleaner, I use akasa tim clean, the paste that came with the cooler will be ok. there will be info at the makers website for fitting.

I am Spartacus 18:46 05 Nov 08

I've just found a review of what I think you have and yes, you will need to remove the motherboard. I thought you didn't want to do that?

toon_mad 18:47 05 Nov 08

Ok thanks, i will stick with the thermal paste they gave me.

The best link i can find was click here - the reviewer says you need to remove the motherboard, but does that mean every motherboard, or certain ones?

I will order some Isopropyl Alcohol.

Thanks Spartacus.

toon_mad 18:48 05 Nov 08

I didnt want to remove the motherboard, i read initially this heatsink didnt need to do this, after searching some more i see it does :(

Might check that out also citadel

I am Spartacus 19:07 05 Nov 08

Just to note that Isopropyl Alcohol costs around £5 for 500ml (Sainsbury's Chemist will order it for you if they don't stock it for next day availability), Akasa cleaner is slightly less cost than that for 125ml.

Whilst removing the motherboard is good experience, I'm not sure I'd recommend it with your PC under warranty and if you're not confident about doing it (and you don't seem to be).

I will look to see if I have any decent heatsinks that use push-pins you can have but I doubt it, I've binned or given away most of them. I know I do have a Arctic Cooler Freezer but I'm currently experimenting with the fan which may not survive the experience.

toon_mad 19:13 05 Nov 08

i have seen some Isopropyl Alcohol thats around £4 inc P&P on ebay (may not need it yer), yeah i dont really want to take out my motherboard, especially with a £800 quid pc.

Thanks for the offer Spartacus, if you do that would be great. What do you suggest i do with this Blue Orb II then?

Cheers again for the expert advice

I am Spartacus 19:25 05 Nov 08

Not expert, just experience and lots of experimentation, especially with the location of case fans, speeds and types. I build quiet but overclocked PC's and sacrificed a case to determine the best location for fans to get the best cooling combined with low noise.

Try and flog the Blue Orb on ebay and get a Arctic Cooler Freezer Pro for around £15. It's not as good as a TRUE but you're only going for a 3GHz overclock so will be OK (as would the standard heatsink as long as you don't need too much extra CPU voltage).

I am Spartacus 19:30 05 Nov 08

Sorry, I've just remembered you were getting highish temps with your stock cooler when you overclocked.

You've started so many threads I'm losing track.

toon_mad 19:37 05 Nov 08

Wish id just took your advice in the first place, but then i started reading and got easily persuaded to go for the Blue Orb II for its superior quite cooling (which i thought would allow me better overclocks, and prolonged cpu life). Ive emailed the seller for advice. Anyway if i cannot take it back, and try to sell it, im new to ebay, and as such only have a rating of 5 (soon to rise to 11) with 100% feedback. Could i still sell with been new member (since 0ct30 2008)

Cheers again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now