installing new operating system

zimbo919 22:33 08 Nov 04

I'm currently using W98SE and wish to install W XP. Do I need to un-install W98 before installing W XP? Can I overwrite W XP over W98? Do I need to save all programmes and files before installing a new operating system? Finally; how do I install new OS? Just place cd rom in drive and let pc take over?

Cheers

VoG II 22:39 08 Nov 04

Yep, you can install over the top and all your docs should still be there.

Others will argue that you should do a "clean install". It is up to you.

polish 22:40 08 Nov 04

not sure if you can install xp over 98 but it is better to format and start from scratch to remove all the clutter that can build up also you will need to check on microsoft site if your computer will run xp

Carpigiani 22:45 08 Nov 04

If you have a full version of XP & not an upgrade then a fresh install is a good idea. But obviously you will need to back everything up, even if you are only upgrading, as things can & do go wrong.
Your XP disc will do everything for you just set you CD drive to 1st boot device, insert your XP disc and it wiil lead you through formatting, partitioning & installation. Allow plenty of time. If you want SP2 it is a good idea to install it before all your other programs, as people doing this seem to have very few problems with it. But do have firewall & anti-virus software up & running before you download any updates from the internet.

gudgulf 22:52 08 Nov 04

You also need to check that you have XP compatible drivers for your motherboard,graphics,sound and any other hardware that you may have.Xp's inbuilt driver collection is fairly extensive but it's well worth checking the internet for the latest drivers for all your devices before you update.

josie mayhem 23:08 08 Nov 04

Yes you can, If you got the up-grade no probs.

Hum, the compatability question, most of my kit tells me that the drivers hasn't been veriefied by mocrosoft, but except for my lexmark x73 all-in-one, had any problems, but to over come the x73 all I did was to download up-dated drivers. and they work o.k.

My advice is yes back up any data that you don't wont to lose, but any other worries put to one side.

What I use that aren't supose to be compatiable with XP, epson 900 photo printer, alongside lexmark x73 (did have to download other drivers) graphics card, dia up modem, plus braodband modem, sound card, just cuse it say it can't doesnt mean it can't.

Back up what is really important, and fire away

gudgulf 23:16 08 Nov 04

Apologies if I wasn't too clear...That should be to make sure that you have drivers that are specifically for use with XP.Windows 98 drivers wont work with XP and if XP does not have a suitable driver built in then you will find you have devices that wont work.

This has nothing whatsoever to do with Microsoft certification.I too use many drivers that are not certified...but ALL of them are for Windows XP.

Rtus 23:16 08 Nov 04

you will cause mayhem if ya keep callin em mocrosoft. ...most of the addon cards/printers etc now have updated Xp drivers..

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…