//some 3rd party need geo

installing new mb and cpu

pc mad 19:46 23 Mar 04

first i want to thank every one who gave me advice on installing a second hd, fdisked and formatted, and the problem was solved, now im feeling very confident and intend to install a new mb and cpu, it seems straight forward, disconnect the feed wires from the power supply and the ribbon cables from hd ect, unscrew the six screws holding the mb in and replace it with the new one,i know about static and earthing my self out, plus i intend to clean all the dust out, the old cpu is 300mhz and the new one is 2.2 ghz would i need to replace the power supply which is 200 watts with a higher one? grateful for any advice... thanks

keith-236785 20:02 23 Mar 04

yes absolutely, 200 watts is not enough for a modern pc, the screw holes on the new mobo may not be in the same place and care must be taken not to leave a stand up in the wrong place, it will short out the mobo.

best suggestion is, get a new case prices start around £15 from click here + delivery.

you can of course just buy a bigger psu, go for a 350 or 400 watt if you can.

good luck with it, you know where we are if you need us.

gooey 20:02 23 Mar 04

Don't forget that the heat generated by the much faster cpu will be rather more than your old 300mhz model - you will need to have more cooling in the case or preferably a more up to date case to install it in - most presently have two or more input and output fans. A higher spec power supply will not strain at running a 2.2 ghz cpu + all the new peripherals you are now going to find excuses to buy so go for a 400 watt which will stay cooler under pressure!

pc mad 20:31 23 Mar 04

thanks guys, there is a fan incorporated on the new mb, also in my existing case there is a removable panel at the front bottom that looks like it would incoporate a fan, i trust you can buy these fans seperate

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…