Installing a new HDD

wetterfugal™ 14:05 07 Apr 03

Is it possible to remove [disconnect] my HDD, fit a 2nd HDD as a master and install WinXP Pro [I have no problems so far] Then I want to set the original as a slave, transfer some data files to the new master and then completely re-format it?

What precaution must I take as the original HDD still has an activated partition with WinXP Pro on it. Will there be a conflict when I bootup? Is there a better way to do it?

rasalom 01:33 08 Apr 03

am going to refresh this as it is similar to a question that I have posted and I will be quite keen to see any replies you get

Soy (AKA tran1) 01:46 08 Apr 03

It would be ok. Of course, when you boot up with the new hard drive, you will need to activate it.
But there will be no problem.

When both drives boot up, XP will automatically detect each other and give you a boot menu. From there, you will be able to choose which OS to go into. Then you can transfer files easily as the other hard drive will be displayed in 'My Computer'.

Only reformat, once you know the other is working ok.

wetterfugal™ 11:47 08 Apr 03

Thanks for the reassurance. I feel a lot more confident now.

Regards, Vic A.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…