Installing new HDD

Skeletor 15:29 31 May 05

Hi all,

I need to increase my HDD size as I do a lot of photography and editing (JPEG's, TIFF's, RAW, PSD's etc.) and am getting close to filling my 80GB HD.

My current system:

Win XP Home SP2
Pent4 2.66 GHz
MSI MS-6703 Motherboard
512 MB DDR RAM
80 GB Samsung SV8004H

I am looking at adding a Western Digital WD 2500JB-RTL2 (250 GB) HDD) and using the new drive as master, and my old 80GB as slave, for backing up.
Am I right in thinking that as I have SP2 installed I can go beyond the 130 GB limit.

Am I likely to run into problems? If so, where?

Many thanks

Steve

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:43 31 May 05

Shouldn't have any problems fitting A 250G HDD to that setup.

Problem areas may be transfering your 80G system to the 250G you will need some cloning sftware such as Ghost or Acronis True Image.

Add the new drive as slave transfer over the copy of the old drive change the new driv to master and old to slave. Check it boots ok and your progs work then either keep the 80G as a backup or format it to use the space.

bremner 15:48 31 May 05

Personally I would do a fresh install of your O/S onto the 250GB drive and then transfer all your invaluable data before reformatting the 80GB and use it as a slave.

Cloning the 80GB will mean all your old rubbish will now be on the new drive.

Skeletor 18:09 31 May 05

Thanks Fruit Bat /\0/\,
I do have Acronis TrueImage, and for safety, intend copying my existing Drive C: to DVD's.

Thanks bremner,
What you suggest makes a lot of sense. My only slight concern is that I don't have a full WinXP disc, only a recovery disc. Although several months ago I did a complete reinstallation of XP and immediately cloned the drive (using Acronis TrueImage)as I wanted a basic copy of XP saved on DVD. Using the boot disc, would I be able to install that copy?

Thanks again

Steve

selfbuild 18:16 31 May 05

I would setup the 250GB drive has slave.... then move all the photos you have already onto the new drive..... Atleast this way, should you have to reinstall XP for what ever reason your photos and other important data will be seperate from the operating system and will not be lost.....

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…