installing a new harddrive!

WaiKent 19:07 07 Sep 03

i am a computer novice and was thinking of installing a new harddrive, i would like to know how i would go about installing as slave, im not sure about all the setting jumpers and stuff so someone please help.

seedie 19:17 07 Sep 03

Switch yer puter off first.
There is a jumper on the drive which needs to be set to the slave position.See diagram on drive itself. The red wire on the data cable HAS to to go next to the power socket. Plug it in, plug the power plug in.
Tell the BIOS about it.

Bob's your unc.

CD

howard60 19:30 07 Sep 03

if your ribbon cable has only the two connectors 1 in the motherboard socket and 1 in the master hard drive you will have to get another cable with the slave connector in the middle about £10 from dabs.com etc.

WaiKent 19:33 07 Sep 03

okay thanks guys i will try to install it.

Megatyte 04:01 08 Sep 03

Before you can use it you need to Fdisk and format. If you don't know how then post back in this thread.

AH

roundhead123 06:08 08 Sep 03

I was just about to post a similar question, I have bought another hard drive expecting to receive installation instructions with it but there was nothing. I need a detailed step by step explanation of how to install it. I have a Packard-Bell iPower puter running on Windows ME. It has a pentium 4 processor, the new hard drive is a Western Digital 80 GB.
Any help will be appreciated
TIA
John

powerless 06:41 08 Sep 03

click here for the Western Digital Hard Drives Installation Guide. (print)

roundhead123 07:40 08 Sep 03

Powerless: Thanks for the link, printed out all 40 pages, now - spend a few hours reading them !
John

-pops- 07:52 08 Sep 03

If you're using WXP, you don't need to fdisk and format. This is done from within Windows itself.

WaiKent 09:42 08 Sep 03

right! well so this is what i do:

1. set the jumper on the 2nd hard drive to slave.

2. plug in the ribbons etc.

3. load into bios, and tell it about the 2ndhard drive being slave.

4. run bootdisk and fdisk the 2nd hard drive.

by the way can i run fdisk from the primary hard drive and isnt fdisk also format aswell?

Switcher 10:04 08 Sep 03

Q4.

FDISK and FORMAT are two different commands and do different things.

You must FDISK a new disk before you can Format it.

Fdisk will allow you to determine if your new disk has just one partition or more than one.

After creating Patition or partitions you must then Format it or them.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…