installing a new hard drive in HP Omnibook 900

CircoLoco 12:56 21 Mar 06

i bought a new larger hard drive for my laptop (HP Omnibook 900) i have managed to fit it ok but now need to load windows etc on it to make it operational.

when i turn on my machine i get a black screen saying 'operating system not found' and nothing else.

ive done a few google searches for tutorials and they all talk about formatting and creating partitions etc, the drive didnt come with any drivers or instructions so im a bit stuck. it wont even get past the black screen to read the CD rom which has the windows disk in it.

HELP PLEASE!!!!

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:34 21 Mar 06

You need to go into the BIOS to set the first boot device to CD second to HDD.

As you boot there will be a message "Press ... to enter setup" This ...could be Esc F2 Del or any other key

You might also get message press F11 to change boot order, My Omibook does this.

With the first Boot device set to CD save and exit. and reboot with the XP CD in the drive and follow the prompts to install windows.

CircoLoco 23:23 21 Mar 06

thanks for your reply,

i have tried this but it's still not working.

i think this may be because i have an external CD drive that is connected via USB. this is the only variable i can consider.

any other ideas..?

woodchip 23:34 21 Mar 06

Your best bet is to buy beg borrow Acronis True Image. Fit the old disc back in and Create a Image of the disc, then refit the new disc and load the Image this will setup Partition and OS and all your software and Drivers for touch o
pad etc. nothing else to do. it does it all. YOU DO HAVE TO PUT THE IMAGE ON CD's or another drive or Partition to copy it back from

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 23:44 21 Mar 06

In BIOS checkall the USB items are enabled i.e. USB for DOS.

IF you have setting boot from USB device set that as first boot device.

CircoLoco 23:56 21 Mar 06

the only things i have on the boot list are

CD DVD Rom Drive
Hard Drive
Removable Drive - Floppy disk (but i dont even have a floppy)

very confused, think it may have to be a shop job?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…