Installing new Hard Drive.

gplatt2000 22:17 14 Apr 03

I need to install a bigger Hard Drive. As my old is is vvvvv. small (6Gb) I am not bothered about keeping it. And i don't want any info from the HD (I have Windows on CD) as I am selling the computer. Is it Ok to simply remove the old HD and replace it with the new one (similar to with a CD drive) or is there other crucial info stored on the old one? Its just that I have read a tutorial for ADDING a HD and it sounds a bit comlicated (changing BIOS, jumper settings etc.) Will it be easier, if even possible, to just swap the drives?

Giggle n' Bits 22:31 14 Apr 03

computer you wish to change the HDD in Please.

Firstly; Which Windows do you have?

If its Windows 95 I would personally not bother.

Going off the age based on the size of this HDD I think you would find putting a bigger HDD in would A: Not be recognised at its full size if using Win 95 or 98 and posibly ME because I have the feeling your Motherbaords BIOS is old and wouldn't realises the real size of a newer HDD.

You would also save yourself £40 ish + if you just sold the computer with the 6GB intact.

I could go on but really it would be like putting new wine in old bottles as the saying goes and not look or work too great and casue probs.

gplatt2000 22:52 14 Apr 03

Thanks a lot AquaVibe, good point. I probably wont bother upgrading now., But just in case i do, here is extra info - Windows 98SE, 32MB RAM(definitely needs upgrading to 128 for the £20odd - its for a mate and he wants this)and an Amptron International P2 M729 PC100 Motherboard.

gplatt2000 10:08 15 Apr 03

Will a 20Gb Hard drive be alright in the PC or will this still be too big and cause problems. Thanks in advance, Gavin

gplatt2000 11:30 15 Apr 03

Anyone?

MAJ 11:56 15 Apr 03

A 20gig drive should be okay, I think you will run into problems if you try anything over 30gig, re the BIOS update as mentioned by AquaVibe above.

gplatt2000 14:52 15 Apr 03

OK, thanks a lot people, I will probably now get a 20Gb HD. Any help with my first question:
i don't want any info from the HD (I have Windows on CD) as I am selling the computer. Is it Ok to simply remove the old HD and replace it with the new one (similar to with a CD drive) or is there other crucial info stored on the old one? Its just that I have read a tutorial for ADDING a HD and it sounds a bit comlicated (changing BIOS, jumper settings etc.) Will it be easier, if even possible, to just swap the drives?
Thanks again for your quick answers - great help.

stlucia 16:45 15 Apr 03

Adding a new HDD is probably simpler than swapping one, provided you computer already has an IDE cable with two plugs on it (most have) and a spare lead from the power supply (ditto).

You need to configure your existing drive as "master" using the "jumper" at the back (the setting may already be correct) and your new drive as "slave". (Jumper settings will be shown on a label on the case of the HDD unit.) Then install the new drive in your PC in a vacant slot, connect the spare IDE plug (ensure it's the right way round) and power supply, and away you go.

Your PC will boot from the original HDD and, with luck, will detect your new HDD immediately. If not, you may have to go into your BIOS and change a setting so that it auto-detects the HDDs. Once it's detected, you then format your new HDD (not the old one!) and you're away.

gplatt2000 21:10 15 Apr 03

THANKS AGAIN EVERYONE, I now (think) I know how to ADD(yep, changed my mind) a new Hard drive. 2 more questions though: Looking at which hd to buy, I've seen UDMA100 or UDMA133 written afert its name - is this to do with my motherboard being PC100?
And once I've added the HD, I want to delete EVEERYTHING on the original one and put Windows 98 on. How will I go about doing this - should I format the original HD first, or install 98 on the new HD then format original??????
Thanks one more, Gavin

gplatt2000 09:12 16 Apr 03

Sorry to post again, just trying to get this topic towrds the top of the list where it will be noticed.

MAJ 09:23 16 Apr 03

No, gplatt2000, UDMA100 or UDMA133 is not the same as "my motherboard being PC100", you will probably need a PCI to IDE card and an 80-pin IDE cable to get the full speed of your new drive whether it be 100 or 133 (133 is the faster). As for the formatting, Load your OS on the new drive, install the old drive as a slave to the new drive and then format the old drive.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…