Installing new hard drive

portofcall 17:46 23 May 07

Am now venturing into the "Great Unknown". Want to replace old hard drive with 320gb new. Old hard drive is Seagate Ultra ATA/100. IDE connection. Having never replaced hard drive, what should I be looking into purchasing. Is SATA drive more difficult and requires new connectors (in lieu of existing IDE connectors). Want this to be as painless and mistake free as possible. Can I install SATA driver and use present connectors? Guess that's the main question. Once hard drive installed, do I install OS with XP disk? Whew, ram was simple, sound card was simple, am hoping hard drive isn't as daunting as I expect. Thanks, Skip

Pamy 18:05 23 May 07

If your motherboard does nor have sata connector then you cannot install sata drive stick with IDE drives. Once mechanically installed drive ,yes Xp disk will do all you want.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:20 23 May 07

How old is the PC? its Bios may not recognise a hard drive above 132G.

EAsiest way if your PC will see the large drive is

first fit drive as slave then Use Acronis to copy your present drive to the new one.
then swap the drives over so new one is master and your PC will run exactly as it does now, programs favourites etc. all kept, but you will have more space available.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:06 26 May 07

Please ask yoir questions by posting in the box at the bottom of this page, everyone can then see your question and reply accordingly.

====================================================
By e-mail
PC is a PackBell Imedia Light.....guessing 4 years old. Can upgrade the bios but if I physically take out old hard drive 80gb and replace (can't see additonal slot for 2nd hard drive), connect ide connectors, am I heading in the right direction.
To make a slave drive, do I have to partion drive? Hmmm.
Ultimately, the new hard drive has to still be an ide (correct?) not SATA? Seems like I have a lot of questions.

Thanks.
================================================

If 4 years old should recognise a larger drive without having to update the BIOS and will be IDE.

Assuming you have two IDE channels (primary - secondary) then you should be able to run two devices on each channel. Ribbon cables usually have two sockets click here

If you PC only has one chnnel then you can temp remove cable from DVD drive and use for new HDD while you copy the drive.

Some new drives come with software to allow you to copy the drives without buying Acronis (Although Acronis is a good investment anyway)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…