Installing new hard drive

TOFF 13:11 24 Dec 05

I have looked through various postings but cannot see an answer to my question. My old hard drive failed and I have bought a new one to replace it. When I switch on, I cannot raise the BIOS so as to direct it to boot from my CD drive (to load Windows, although I was considering Linux as it is a spare computer). All I get is the manufacturer's (Dell) splash screen and there it stops. How do I go further?
Suggestions gratefully accepted as always.

VoG II 13:13 24 Dec 05

Keys to tap to access BIOS click here

TOFF 21:35 24 Dec 05

Sorry this doesn't work - I should have mentioned that I have tried that already. Neither my mouse nor my keyboard light up when I switch on.

woodchip 21:39 24 Dec 05

You could try removing motherboard Battery for an hour

VoG II 21:39 24 Dec 05

Are they connected to USB ports? You would need to use a keyboard with a 'bog standard' connector.

woodchip 21:41 24 Dec 05

PS if these is a CMOS jumer that's the best way to go by putting it on the Clear CMOS pins then put it back this will reset BIOS defaults

TOFF 08:47 25 Dec 05

Thanks for the suggestions which I will try once Christmas is over. Have a good day!

TOFF 18:54 02 Jan 06

Thanks. A new battery did the trick.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…