installing new hard disk for sony vaio vgnb1vp

ed9999 13:31 16 Jan 07

hi can u help..

the 40gig fijitsu hard disk broke and i bought new replacement online. model mht2040at.

when i turn on machine says "operating system not found" when i go into bios it doesnt recognise harddisk, when i try to boot from xp disc it begins setup but says "setup did not find any harddisk drives installed on our computer... setup canot continue" so laptop sent to reboot and i get "operating system not found" message again... how do i get my laptop working again?

many thanks in advance for your help

ed

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:03 16 Jan 07

Boot to the BIOS and set the CMOS to Auto detect the drive.

ed9999 14:15 16 Jan 07

bootd to bios but no option to auto detect the drive.. btw in bios the primary adapter shows "none" and cannot be changed. most options cannt be changed....

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:25 16 Jan 07

make sure IDE controlller is enabled.

ed9999 16:29 16 Jan 07

thanks but how do i enable IDE controller? there is nothing like this in my bios/setup menu. is there another key i need to press during boot up? ive been accessing bios by pressing F2..

thanks for help

ed

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:07 16 Jan 07

Mat be set by default

Have you got a setting to put the whole system to default settings?

ed9999 18:04 16 Jan 07

yes,default configuration running.. just cant do anything with it..

ed9999 02:44 25 Jan 07

turns out replacement hard disk was faulty, have now fitted replacement 40gig disk. as i created NTFS partition (at 20gig) during windows xp install i only have access to half the 40gigs. seem a million ways to format/organise 2nd half of my hard disk.. which is best way if i want 2nd half (currently unformatted) to only house my documents (ie no programs)?
many thanks for help
ed

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 6 simple tips to get more out of…