Installing .NET 3.5 with 'Help' from Microsoft

Graphicool1 09:41 03 Feb 09

WinXP SP3

After hearing much about .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 Family Update on PC Advisor, I began wondering why I hadn't been notified 'officially' through the Microsoft Update Service? So I went on line and got Ms Updates to check my OS, sure enough there it was and listed as 'High Priority' as well?

So I attempted an install, then and there. It downloaded fine, but unfortunately wouldn't install. It occurred to me that the fact that I'd recently done a full .NET Framework & SP Uninstall and Reinstall (though not including 3.5) might have some bearing on my present situation?

I posted a few questions on here and was told that I probably didn't need it and that it may only be for programmers. I went on line and everywhere I looked it said 3.5 contained a vast amount of patches designed to fix previous Service Packs. So I emailled Microsoft with my unresolved dilemma. They confirmed my online findings, 3.5 isn't just for programmers and yes we all need it because it contains fix patches for ALL past SP's!

They have assigned me my own personal tech person, to hold my hand and walk me through the download and install. Here I will share with you the step-by-step knowledge as I am given it. I will also punctuate it with my own progress. Feel free to ask questions. I'm hoping the journey will be short and sweet as opposed to long and arduous!

Pamy 09:56 03 Feb 09

Hi Graphicool1, as you know from your other post I thought it was just for programmers, but as it came to me as an update I installed it without any problems, but look forward to reading your progress.

birdface 10:03 03 Feb 09

Best of luck.But I have my doubts that someone is going to hold your hand for 30 minutes while you download and install it.And if it does not install again maybe another hour until they find a fix.Lets hope that I am wrong.Both IE8 and net Framework came out last week and I can see a big response in folk having lots of different problems since.

^wave^ 11:31 03 Feb 09

just installed this so far no problems but note its a long down load it then goes on to say it is installing and nothing seems to happen on the progress bar for some 20 -25 mins quite a bit of disk activity which i think is it unpacking the down load. then the progress bar starts to move and some 30-5 mins after the start of all this it asks for a reboot. hope this helps if people dont think it is doing anything

woodchip 11:38 03 Feb 09

I thought you had resolved this, if you are not having problems why do you want to load it?

As its nothing to do with Security

Graphicool1 11:57 03 Feb 09

Hi Everyone

Sadly Woodchip no I hadn't resolved it and as for it being nothing to do with security, that isn't what Ms say? It is apparently packed full of fixes and patches for all previous .NET Frameworks and SP's.
Here you go, check out this list of changes and fixed issues in the...

.NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1

Hotfixes that are included in this service pack

Microsoft Knowledge Base article Description
925492 (click here ) FIX: Error message when you add a Web reference to a project in Visual Studio 2005: "The custom tool 'MSDiscoCodeGenerator' failed"
928563 (click here ) FIX: The System.Net.HttpWebRequest class may not maintain a persistent connection to a proxy in the .NET Framework 2.0
943175 (click here ) FIX: The XmlSerializer class generates an unexpected result when you use the XmlSerializer class to serialize the numeration attribute in the .NET Framework 2.0
943412 (click here ) FIX: You may experience delays when an operating system shuts down if the computer is running a managed service together with the .NET Framework 2.0
943804 (click here ) FIX: Certain Unicode characters returned by the Application.ExecutablePath property in the .NET Framework 2.0 are displayed as "?"
944099 (click here ) FIX: Error message when you use the SQL Native Client data provider to connect to an instance of SQL Server 2005 that is configured to use database mirroring: "Internal .Net Framework Data Provider error 6"
944100 (click here ) FIX: You cannot access tables that are used in a SQL Server transaction if you end the thread that executes the transaction before the transaction is finished in the .NET Framework 2.0
944157 (click here ) FIX: You may experience a significant delay when you make the first request to an ASP.NET Web application that is running on Windows Server 2003
946102 (click here ) FIX: An ActiveX control will not receive keyboard navigation events when you use a System.Windows.Forms.WebBrowser control to host Web pages
946223 (click here ) FIX: The input language in a text box on the Microsoft Expression Design surface does not function correctly when you change the input language to an East Asian language
946411 (click here ) FIX: When you print an XPS file on a Windows XP Service Pack 2 or Service Pack 3-based computer, the characters in the XPS file print incorrectly
946503 (click here ) FIX: Error message when you use the installer tool to install an assembly that is located on a remote computer: "An exception occurred during the Install phase"
946660 (click here ) FIX: The headers attribute of a cell is rendered incorrectly when the cell is associated with multiple headers in an ASP.NET 2.0 Web application

Part Two...

Graphicool1 11:57 03 Feb 09

(click here ) FIX: An installation may fail with error 1935 when an .msi file tries to install many policy files on a computer that has the .NET Framework 2.0 installed
947148 (click here ) FIX: Incorrect methods are called when you call some COM APIs that are included in a .NET Framework 2.0-based 64-bit application
947317 (click here ) FIX: In a Windows Forms application that was built by using the .NET Framework 2.0, the CurrencyManager object triggers additional instances of some events when you delete the last row from a table
947461 (click here ) FIX: An update package is available for the .NET Framework 2.0 Service Pack 1
947581 (click here ) FIX: The value of the "WsdlContractConversionContext.WsdlPortType" property is null in the .NET Framework 3.0 Service Pack 1
948233 (click here ) You receive a System.InvalidOperationException exception error when you run a Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0-based application after you install security update MS 07-040 on a computer
948646 (click here ) FIX: Objects are not serialized correctly when you serialize and deserialize the DataSet objects by using the SerializationFormat.Binary format parameter in a .NET Framework 2.0-based application
948815 (click here ) Availability of the .NET Framework 2.0 post-Service Pack 1 hotfix rollup package for System.Data.dll and System.Data.OracleClient.dll
948873 (click here ) FIX: You may receive a System.Xml.XmlException exception when you use one-way Web methods to communicate with Web services in a .NET Framework 3.0-based application
948887 (click here ) FIX: An exception occurs when a Web application that is based on the .NET Framework 2.0 uses the HttpWebRequest class and receives an HTTP 1.0 response that contains the HTTP status code 401
949272 (click here ) FIX: A Windows Forms application that uses ActiveX controls may crash, and a null reference exception occurs after you install the .NET Framework 2.0 Service Pack 1
949777 (click here ) FIX: Error message if you deploy an executable application to a path that contains escape characters in the .NET Framework 2.0: "Absolute path information is required"
950230 (click here ) FIX: You receive a System.ArgumentException exception error message when you use the Sgen.exe tool and the XmlSerializer JIT compiler to generate an XmlSerializer assembly for a Web service proxy in the .NET Framework 2.0
950986 (click here ) FIX: In the .NET Framework 2.0 Service Pack 1, the ModuleBuilder.GetTypeToken method returns an incorrect token
951111 (click here ) FIX: Warning message when you use the SvcUtil.exe tool to import service metadata in the .NET Framework 3.5: "The policy expression was not fully imported because it exceeded the maximum allowable complexity"
951113 (click here ) FIX: The set of values returned from the row.GetColumnsInError method is empty when a client computer that has the .NET Framework 2.0 installed receives a DataSet object from a WCF service
952324 (click here ) FIX: You cannot download the .application file when you deploy an application by using ClickOnce deployment in a secure environment

Graphicool1 12:04 03 Feb 09

In the words of 'Provider 2' I quote...

"V 2 of .NET Framework has been largely overwritten, the date claiming that they were installed three or four days, not months ago. This more or less confirms what the Defence+ module of Comodo firewall was telling me as I installed v3.5 i.e. that certain files were about to be modified and asking for confirmation."

Graphicool1 12:26 03 Feb 09

buteman - You skeptic! You're talking about Microsoft 'Our Beloved Saviour'?

Hi Pamy I must say you make the whole process sound like a walk in the park or a picnic on the beach. I don't think that was the same as the experience had by ^wave^? Nor as it happens by me!

I installed and ran .NET CLEANUP UTILITY TOOL:
click here

Which after running for a little while, informed me that it had failed in it's task! I decided to play some music to calm myself down. No sound was coming from my sound card! I did a 'System Restore' which restored my sound. However I was then informed by my email client 'Incredimail' that it couldn't load the skin. So I had to do a full install of Incredimail. This brought me back to square one. Two steps forward three back comes to mind.

I sent Microsoft an update, including the Log File from the clean up tool. I didn't hear anything else from them yesterday. 'I thought have they given up on me?'...

Pamy 12:35 03 Feb 09

Sorry you are having such a problem. Yes it was "like a walk in the park for me" I am pleased to say. My comp. was running OK so I was not bothered about this update, but as it came, I decided to try installing it and it whent OK I wander if others are having such a problem intalling it?

Pamy 12:36 03 Feb 09

wander or even wonder

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac