Installing a motherboard

Doragan 11:52 09 Apr 07

I am wanting to buy a new motherboard with RAM and a processor, is there anything I need to know before putting it into my tower, as I think there must be more to it than just plugging it in.
Thanks in advance
Chris

Blitzer 12:02 09 Apr 07

Apart from the obvious anti-static precautions the chances are you will need to or would be better off re-installing windows as well. I'm assuming what you are doing involves replacing older parts with newer parts, i.e. upgrading your system. This will most likely require for you to re-activate Windows as well, but I'm not sure how you will stand with this I believe it may depend on if your version of windows is OEM or retail.

If it's OEM and you are replacing the parts due to failure you may be able to contact Microsoft and explain that so they will enable you to re-activate, otherwise you may be looking at purchasing a new OEM version of windows with the hardware.

hzhzhzhz 12:03 09 Apr 07

make sure you have either a thermal pad or thermal paste spread thinly and evenly between the cpu and heatsink.

hzhzhzhz 12:22 09 Apr 07

check to see if you will need a 20 > 24 pin adapter to connect your older psu to your new mobo.

ICF 12:30 09 Apr 07

Doragan said:-
"as I think there must be more to it than just plugging it in"

You will need to screw it in before you plug it in

click here

click here

click here

Doragan 12:31 09 Apr 07

How do I reinstall windows? do I just start up the PC as normal after I have replaced my old one. This is an upgrade also. I don't know if it would help, but this is the motherboard which I am going to purchase: click here thanks for all the help so far

spuds 12:35 09 Apr 07

If you haven't already purchased the components, then these links may be helpful click here click here

Stuartli 13:07 09 Apr 07

If you are using your current hard drive, an XP Repair will do what you require - XP doesn't always "take" to a new motherboard. See:

click here

The Bios should be set to boot from CD and the Repair undertaken when the mobo has been installed.

jsimpson001 14:44 09 Apr 07

If you replace the motherboard/processor etc you WILL NOT be able to keep the same installation of windows, if I am too late in telling you this, you can get a small hard disk, install windows on that, then put your original hard disk in slave and drag your data onto DVDS or something.

You can start the windows setup by entering the BIOS (usually delete or f2 at startup black splash screen) then go to boot order and set CD drive as first, then save+exit and restart, you should the see ' press any key to boot from CD' do so, and setup is fairly easy to do.

Stuartli 15:51 09 Apr 07

I've changed my motherboard and CPU twice in the last 15 months.

All I did was to do an XP Repair afterwards.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5