Installing more RAM into laptop....

muserocks123 19:17 08 Jun 09

I'm thinking of giving my laptop another GB of ram (my laptop says it supports dual channel and has only got 1GB at the moment) i've been reading up on websites, like this click here and it doesn't look to difficult. For someone who hasn't done it before is it a pretty simple procedure? And where do you recommend i but my RAM? Thanks, Harry

OTT_Buzzard 19:22 08 Jun 09

It is a fairly easy job, on every laptop i've seen at any rate.

This is a bit of a RTFM moment I'm afraid - it should give instructions on fittng RAM for your specific lappy.

A couple of cautions: check to make sure what your lappys max RAM capacity is and the type and speed (click here).

Once you know what you need and how much you can fit, check out ebuyer, cclonline and novatech.....and there's many many more plcaes that i'm sure other poeple can point to!

muserocks123 19:29 08 Jun 09

Thanks for that, their prices seem alot cheaper then others i've quickly looked at. Does the make of RAM really matter? Also, with this line;

Q: Do I have to install matching pairs?

A: No.

No, you can install modules one at a time, and you can mix different densities of modules in your computer. But if your computer supports dual-channel memory configurations, you should install in identical pairs (preferably in kits) for optimal performance.

If i was to just add a 2gb chip, would i lose that much from not replacing the first gig?

OTT_Buzzard 19:37 08 Jun 09

Where did you get the Q&A from? Mixing RAM densities sounds unusual.....

Since your lappy supports dual channel, matching pairs is a good idea. Whether sacrificing a gig of RAM to get it is a different matter - I've never heard of anyone trying!

The make of RAM.....i remain unconvinced that in most laptops & desktops that it really matters. In high end stuff it can make a difference.

muserocks123 19:45 08 Jun 09

click here from the scanner recommended above by yourself. I think i may sacrifice the gb already in there and got for 2 x 2Gb even though prob only run max on 3-3.5Gb but the price is negligible.....

AL47 19:59 08 Jun 09

i run 2x2 in mine, mixing speeds is ok, will run at the slowest but no point really, easy job on mine [as well as hard drive replacement, easier than desktops]

OTT_Buzzard 20:11 08 Jun 09

ok, it's bad wording from Crucial - RAM Density is not the same as the amount of memory on the stick. Nevermind!

muserocks123 22:25 08 Jun 09

ordered the RAM :) went for a 4gb kit comprising of 2 No 2Gb from crucial memory. Quite excited and nervous about it all now :S Thanks for your help, Harry

mooly 07:49 09 Jun 09

Before you fit it, take the laptop battery out, then hold the power button for a few seconds to fully discharge any caps etc. To prevent any possibility of static just touch with your fingers any metalwork on the laptop (headphone sockets anything) as you work on it, this will put you and the PC at the same potential. Do this every couple of minutes.
Before you remove the old RAM look at it first so you can see exactly how it's fitted and don't touch the gold edge connectors.
All dead easy... it should all work straight off. If it's Vista your running, the improvement will be massive.

muserocks123 10:05 09 Jun 09

thanks for the advice. I purposely brought my laptop a few years ago so i've got XP. It's been a few years,lots of programs,so starting to slow. Needs a pick me up and thinking of when windows 7 comes out.....

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5