Installing more than one copy of a printer driver

heidelberg 16:29 01 Jun 03

Any suggestions on installing more than one copy of a printer driver on the same PC? I would like one for drafts, one for text (just black ink) and one for colour photographs.

Every time I've tried it installs over the existing copy.

As usual it is probably so simple, but.....

Thanks in advance

Lú-tzé 16:34 01 Jun 03

I don't know that it is possible - you may just have to tell the program to print in draft quality and so forth or else change the printer settings each time.

wee eddie 16:36 01 Jun 03

Canon 620.Drafts. Canon 620.Photo. etc

Each time you reload the drivers name them as you wish.

ps. I think!

Gandalph 16:37 01 Jun 03

If both drivers have the same name then yes, one will copy over the other. The only suggestion I can make will be to name one driver something like HP1 then re-install the same driver and name it HP2. It should work. Before you start printing you will have to go into the printer driver folder and click on the one you wish to use for that particular session by making it the default driver.

-pops- 16:38 01 Jun 03

I had an old HP printer that had a default setting and a copy (1) setting. This was in the days of W95.

I can't set my current printers up like this.

Do you think it's really worthwhile though? you'll still have to to some mouse clicking to get the correct printer so you may as well use that to change the printer settings.

Gandalph 16:38 01 Jun 03

Snap!

Forum Editor 16:43 01 Jun 03

you would want to install separate instances of the same driver - there's no possible advantage.

The driver runs the printer, and if you want a draft copy you select 'draft'in the printer dialogue before you print. Likewise, you select 'colour' when printing colour images - text will print in black whatever setting you choose, unless you have coloured some of it of course.

Every time you try to install another instance of the same driver it will simply overwrite the first one, so leave it at one copy and work from there - that's what everyone else does.

Lú-tzé 16:49 01 Jun 03

Gandalph / wee eddie good thinking there - I might give it a try myself.

wee eddie 17:33 01 Jun 03

and save yourself time.

Put a shortcut to the Printer Folder on your desktop.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…