Installing a modem

prozac1947 10:45 30 May 03

My comp has an Intel Ambient v92 internal modem (new) and is a load of rubbish. It just "crashes" and takes me days to re-install.
I am going to buy a new one, I fancy the Rockwell????
As a middle aged amateur lady - will I be able to do this myself - is it just putting the cables in the same place as the Intel one. I cannot afford to have this done - or would an external one be better and, if so, how would i disconnect the old one.

Lú-tzé 11:25 30 May 03

click here for a step by step guide.

Lú-tzé 11:27 30 May 03

click here for an even better one.

SafeHaven 11:31 30 May 03

Maybe you do not need a new one but new drivers for the old one? To uinstall you need to go to Start/controle panel/system/device manager.Find the modem and uninstall turn off the pc and install the new one with care. But first try an uninstall as above and try reinstalling drivers from the cd or floppy. Often if you have a modem problem and re-install without an uninstall does not solve the problem,may save you some £££ in the end

TC Pat

vinnyT 11:37 30 May 03

It's pretty easy, as Lú-tzé links show, but personally, I prefer external models, as not only easier to setup but you can physically turn it off when not in use.

prozac1947 11:47 30 May 03

i don't know if it could be the disc - but have huge probs downloading the drivers, it usually takes a couple of days and about 20* uninstalls and re-installing. I have tried every method on the net with no improvement even the Internet Explorer on the fax/modem disc provided has a load of errors on it and could not be completely installed

It even gets to stage it won't let me uninstall it and I had to re-format my hard drive 3 times.

Thanks for help I will try anything !!

TBH1 12:59 30 May 03

prozac1947 - - no help to you what so ever but - - I had similar problems installing a modem in my wife's friends PC, told her it was a doddle and any idiot could do it !!! How wrong I was, couldn't get first modem working, took it back and exchanged for another one, couldn't get second one working, tried an old external one, got that working , of a sort, tried second one again and after days and days managed to get the thing going - - don't ask me how. Then to compound things, her son decided to upgrade from w95 to w98 - - - and had exactly the same problems again !!! Again, eventually, got the thing working though to this day, haven't managed to get the bleepy sounds to work. I had a similar problem on my daughters ( I do go on don't I ??) - -I upgraded her PC from 95 to 98, couldn't get modem working so presumed it was duff, wopped another in there - - - and still ain't got the little tinker working, though only been trying for 3 months !!! Gave her my password to use mine so am off the hook at the moment.
As I say, sorry I ain't helping any but don't you get thinking its your lack of knowledge thats causing this.
Good luck

prozac1947 13:55 30 May 03

Sounds like me !!!! Perhaps an external one would be safer - if I can (without problems) get the other one out!!Lu'-tze' went into both sites - really need to study them as didn't understand the terminology. Would prefer intenal modem but sounds a bit dodgy

TBH1 14:13 30 May 03

prozac1947 - -the 'taking it out and putting it in' is the easy bit and no, ain't being rude !!! Undo the screw, then gently, or sometimes not so gently, out. Your new one can either go where you've just pulled the old one from, or maybe a good idea to try another slot - - sometimes this takes a little localised strength but you will recognise when its fully home. Might be worth simple wopping your old one out then into a new slot.
Reading back on that lot, it does sound rude don't it ??? Don't forget to put the screw back in.

prozac1947 15:07 30 May 03

No it isn't rude lol - any advice is very useful !!!

vauxhall-man 00:32 31 May 03

I had simular troubles with a intel Ambient modem once i installed windows XP but cured problems by downloading better drivers.I used this site plus the numbers on one of the chips on my modem to locate better driver.Modem hasn't missed a connection since, so before you give up and buy a new one give this site a try. click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface PC release date, price and specs: All-in-one Surface PC to directly rival iMac

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…