Installing Mitsumi FA402A FDD with Integrated Card

jwilkyone 15:12 02 Dec 06

I recently purchased a Mitsumi FA402A FDD with integrated Card Reader ( Internal ). The FDD works fine with standard FDD leads and power plug but the Card reader part has a separate lead ending in a 4-pin plug marked +5vdc, data -, data+ and GND. This plug is 15mm x 5mm x2.5mm thick, i.e. it looks a typical plug for a motherboard connection. The problem is I cannot see a likely connector on my MB. My MB is an ECS 755-A2. The FDD is also advertised as a USB device. Any help as to how I might connect this thing would be greatly appreciated. jwilkyone

Numbnuts2001 15:53 02 Dec 06

Sounds like it's a internal usb connector (9 pins and 1 blank space in the corner) you might not be able to see it if you already have some extra usb ports added in. If it is in use then its a trade off between what you need most.

ed-0 15:53 02 Dec 06

Is this the one? click here

Is this the connector? click here A rather poor picture from the website :-(

If it is, how many pins has it and what colours are the wires attached to it?

jwilkyone 16:26 02 Dec 06

Hi ed-0. Thats the drive but the connector is not the one shown, rather it is just one line of small squares labelled as I said. Colours are +5vdc...red, data-..white,data+....green and GND..black.

jwilkyone 16:27 02 Dec 06

Forgot to emphasise it is a female plug.Jwilkyone

ed-0 17:25 02 Dec 06

You have two usb headers on the motherboard. they are marked USB3 and USB 4 here click here

You attach the the 4 pin female plug to the 4 pin male pins. Don't use the 5 pins.

As you look at the picture, count pin 1 as the far left pin of the row of 4.

So place the red wire to pin 1 and the rest will follow.

have you just the one connecter?

When connected, switch the computer on a see if the drive works.

jwilkyone 12:21 03 Dec 06

Thanks ed-O. Card Reader is up and running. Many Thanks to all who responded, especially you. Jwilkyone

ed-0 18:14 03 Dec 06

Thats good news, thanks for leting us know, hope you enjoy the new card reader ;-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac