installing Millenium Me over Windows XP

Junio 21:20 15 Aug 03

I have tried to install Millenium Me over Windows XP and now experiencing all sorts of problems with starting up and closing down. Amongst the error notices that appear, I am told that some of the Windows XP configeration files cannot be changed to suit Millenium Me. How do I remove Windows XP without causing problems to other programs. Please help me.
Many thanks Junio

sil_ver 21:30 15 Aug 03

I think you should reformat and clean install ME but backup anything that you want to keep.

The Sack 21:30 15 Aug 03

you cant retro install an OS without removing the newer one first.

woodchip 21:31 15 Aug 03

Not possible

xania 21:59 15 Aug 03

You cannot expect an earlier program to be able to cope with something that came later - in effect that is what you are trying to do. You might just as well have trieds to install '95 over the top of XP.

Frankly, I wonder why you would want to bother. XP is far superior to ME, and far more stable.

Rtus 23:26 15 Aug 03

Removing Xp(ntfs)and returning to a previous O/s is possible ..And can be very time consuming .however Not only do you require complete removal of Xp but will require Motherboard Bios to be reset to defaults/fail safe defaults..(level of difficulty depending on type of Mother board ) consult mobo manual for correct method. Boot to floppy of O/s of choice Fdisk the drive,Format and install O/S.. BUT Do Make sure you find all drivers that are required ,Or at least where to down load them from..

The Sack 23:56 15 Aug 03

Junio may have chosen FAT 32 on the XP install for all you know.

Either or you cant do it.

JIM 00:06 16 Aug 03

Can you give us some more info to help us help you.Your Win/os and systems/systems speck.. :)

leo49 01:43 16 Aug 03

Accept you've made a cock-up, scrap it and start from scratch.

Regards

Rtus 19:35 16 Aug 03

Please note I agree with your post...

BUT as posted above if file system is FAT 32 or NTFS Methods the same as posted above .. & what leo49 says is the only option for this situation ..

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…