Installing Microsoft Bluetooth Mouse on laptop

vaughan007 10:55 22 Apr 04

Hello everyone,

I have a HP Compaq nx 9005 laptop with Windows XP Pro installed.

When I try to install a BLuetooth mouse on the laptop it says I must uninstall the synaptic pointing device (touchpad i assume) first and restart the computer.

The explanation given to why I need to uninstall the synaptic pointing device is...

"Setup has detected conflicting device software already installed on this system that may impair the device software you are installing.

..Well, it seems fairly obvious to me that should I uninstall the synaptic pointing device and then restart the laptop I wont actually be able to move the mouse pointer at all.

However, if I dont uninstall the synaptic pointing device then setup for bluetooth exits.

Thanks a lot Bill (Gates that is).

computernerdiamnot 11:19 22 Apr 04

Dont uninstall your touchpad you can diable the touchpad within the properties tab of the touchpad. Then try the blutooth mouse.

vaughan007 11:23 22 Apr 04

That was the first thing I tried doing and I still got the same...

Thanks anyway.

vaughan007 20:39 22 Apr 04

Bump

keenan 22:06 22 Apr 04

If you uninstall the 'synaptic pointing device '
software (as I had to, due to a hardware conflict)

Then XP will default to 'Microsoft PS/2 Mouse' on restart.

computernerdiamnot 10:12 23 Apr 04

just a note keenan what would happen if you dont have a ps/2 port because i dont on my laptop would it revert to the usb where i can use my optical mouse.

temp003 11:00 23 Apr 04

My laptop with a touchpad used to use the Synaptics driver. It did funny things, and in the end I uninstalled the Synaptics driver and software altogether, and the touchpad continued to work (in fact better than before).

I think Windows's own default driver will work with the touchpad anyway - (if the touchpad has special functions options or settings provided by Synaptics, they may not be available, but the essential functions should still work).

And yes, your USB mouse will work (if you need to use it), even if the touchpad stops working after uninstalling Synaptics.

computernerdiamnot 11:45 23 Apr 04

thanks

vaughan007 13:34 23 Apr 04

Thanks everyone.

I have now located the synaptics driver from the hp website so if all goes belly up and I do end up in a mess at least I can just re-install the synaptics driver.

Cheers!...and happy St Georges Day!

vaughan007 13:46 23 Apr 04

Uninstalled synaptics driver...pad still worked aferwards...same as before....bluetooth mouse installed fine....

So give yourselves a pat on the back :-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…