Installing memory modules

volpone02 10:59 19 Aug 04

I would like to increase my computer memory, currently 512MB but some of it used by on-board graphics.The manual tells me there are 3 184-pin DIMM sockets of which 2 are currently filled with a 256MB DDR333 PC2700 module in each.
It seems to me that simply inserting another 256MB module in the 3rd socket would suffice. However, there is a note in the manual which says "Please use DIMM1+DIMM3 or DIMM2+DIMM3 to get better performance" Can anyone tell me what this means? And will adding another module in the 3rd socket achieve what I am after.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated before I fork out.

cherria 12:13 19 Aug 04

I think it is just suggesting that if you have 2 modules the best place for them is 1+3 or 2+3

Obviously if you have 3 modules you have to use all 3 slots.

Buying the memory you suggest will almost certainly achieve what you are after.

ste_bla 13:03 19 Aug 04

It could be prehaps your memory is run in dual channel and thats why only using 2 of the three channels is best..

What mobo do you have?

volpone02 13:17 19 Aug 04

The motherboard is Leadtek Winfast K7NCR 18G-Pro and the manual says it supports memory dual channel access but I am not sure I know what this means.
The manual also says it supports 3 184-pin DDR DIMMs; up to 3GB; and supports 128-bit memories.

ste_bla 19:46 24 Aug 04

Dual channel means if you have 2 identical (same size and speed) Ram modules it doubles the bandwibth between the Ram and the rest of the system thats why it says only use 2 at a time

Dorsai 20:30 24 Aug 04

As this Mobo would appear to have the option to use a seperate AGP card, with it's own memory, what do others think of the option to buy a AGP GFX card, so freeing up the memory used by the on-board GFX?

click here

512MB would seem enough, if only it was all avaliable for windowz.

Of course you would appear to be able to add a 3rd dimm, and you can't have too much ram.

But which solution would offer the best cost versus performance gain?

I must admit to having 1gig ram, and agp card, not onboard agp, but my system never seems to use more than 25% of the avaliable ram, so i have more than i need. hence 512 would sweem enough.

:-?

Sans le Sou 22:40 24 Aug 04

Dual channel means you have 2 memory controllers acting independently and thus performing separate functions speeding up the process. Using the slot configs as the book says means using adjacent slots without a gap in between. You can use your third slot as each slot is connected to both controllers. The most important thing is to match your memory.

woodchip 23:13 24 Aug 04

"memory is run in dual channel" that does not had up he as odd number how would he fit four into three.

I would suggest that cherria as got it right

volpone02 23:33 24 Aug 04

Thanks for all your responses so far. If nothing else,I now know a little more than I knew before.
On the other hand, I am not sure whether to add an AGP card as has been suggested or extra memory. It would seem that I am left with @ 390MB of system memory after the on-board graphics takes its share. I use mainly the major word processing,spreadsheet and database software although I do get involved from time to time with fairly complicated presentation graphics and photo/graphics manipulation.

Once again, many thanks

Sans le Sou 09:11 25 Aug 04

As your slots support it, probably a good but fairly expensive option would be to get a matched pair of 512Mb modules and use 2 slots as advised.
Depends if you need a super graphics card or not as adding a card will give an extra 128Mb of system RAM plus the graphics card memory. Could be about the same in money terms.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…