Installing Me over XP Home

Jim Sadler 02:41 09 Dec 03

I have 2 computers both of which have Windows XP Home as the OS. One of them only has the OS (FAT 32) installed and nothing else. I would like to change the OS on this machine to Windows Me but have so far failed to find a way to do so. The OS resides in a single basic partition of 30Gb on the hard disk and there is no unallocated space in which to set up another partition. I am unable to delete or format this basic partition through XP's disk management tools and Me will not install over the top of XP. Microsoft's Knowledge Base Article 309000 on XP's Disk Management offers no solution at all.
I do not have any start up disks for Me.
Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
Jim Sadler

Gaz 25 02:45 09 Dec 03

Dont know why you want to downgrade, ME is the worst version of windows in most peoples view. Its one Microsoft would rather forget too.

Win 2000 is good, but XP is a nice looking stable OS.

Anyway, put in your XP disc, delete the partition, then insert Win ME disc and install.

Gaz 25 02:45 09 Dec 03

Oh forgot to say you insert the disc and boot from it.

Djohn 02:48 09 Dec 03

click here This page should sort it for you. There is a link to download a boot floppy to format the drive. From there you have the choice of using the floppy then the ME disk or set your CD drive as first boot drive and install ME on to a clean formatted drive. j.

Djohn 02:50 09 Dec 03

Sorry Gaz, forgot to refresh before posting and didn't see your post. j.

Gaz 25 03:17 09 Dec 03

(Being FAT 32 the bootdisk from click here will work, however if it be NTFS you would have to use the Windows partition delete on the XP cd.)

Its Ok Djohn! ;-)

Jim Sadler 03:36 09 Dec 03

Thanks for the advice, boys. I have XP on one machine but want Me on the other as an alternative. Besides, there's only a couple of days left for the activation process and I don't want to give Microsoft any extra dosh.
Thanks again, lads.

Terrahawk 09:13 09 Dec 03

if it is ntfs you can delete the non dos partition through fdisk on a fat32 boot disk then create a primary partition and format

Jim Sadler 17:25 09 Dec 03

Djohn, Gaz 25, & Terrahawk.
Anymore suggestions please, lads, only none of the above have worked.
XP will not entertain a start up disk for W98 or WMe.
This is one of the reasons I loathe XP as an OS. People think they have control over it, but they're wrong. XP will not let go.
Jim Sadler

leo49 17:35 09 Dec 03

2 suggestions; if you've got Partition Magic run it from the floppies and zap the drive or a free alternative download from one of the HDD manufacturers their disk utility,eg Maxblast 3 from Maxtor,install to floppy and use that to format the HDD.

Gaz 25 17:37 09 Dec 03

Put in the XP disc... and reboot, ensure the bios has CD rom as boot device.

Start the operating system from the CD-ROM,

When the computer starts from the CD, the system checks your hardware and then prompts you to select one of the following options:

To set up Windows XP now, press ENTER.

To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.

To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

Press ENTER.

Press F8 to accept the Licensing Agreement.

A box lists your current Windows XP installation, and then the system prompts you to select one of the following options:

To repair the selected Windows XP installation, press R.

To continue installing a fresh copy of Windows XP without repairing, press ESC.

Press R to start the automatic repair process. After repairing Windows XP, you need to download the updates again.

To continue installing a fresh copy of Windows XP without repairing, press ESC.

Then you will have your current Partition listed... It will have: Alloted: Windows XP Home Edition.

Press the button to delete the partition, and continue.

Once done restart the PC and enter the Win ME disc....

Select the install option and go ahead... it will then format the partition to ME and use it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Windows Event live stream, live blog | Microsoft event live stream: Watch Microsoft…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

iPhone 7 Plus review: A superb big-screen phablet, but the price tag's enormous | iPhone 7 Plus…