Installing the mainboard drivers

Umbra 20:44 15 Sep 05

Hi all,
I've just had to help reformat and reinstall windows XP Home edition on a neighbours PC.

This has been completed ok.

I now need to install the mainboard drivers and believe I have found the .inf file on the "drivers" cd that came with the machine originally.

I have worked out that the mainboard chip is Intel.

In the Intel folder, inside the "drivers" folder on the CD, is a file:

Is driver installation a simple matter of double-clicking this file, or

Should I copy this file to a folder on the C:\ drive and then double-click it, or

Is there some other way I should be working at to install this driver?

Grateful for all and any help you can give me?

I have installed the drivers for a printer, and XP OS has used it's own driver base for other devices, does this matter or should some drivers be removed before installing the mainboard driver?

AndySD 20:55 15 Sep 05

Hi Carl

Can you tell us the make/model of the motherdoard as its important to install the correct drivers for the motherboard chioset. (intel make many different ones)

Umbra 21:16 15 Sep 05

Difficult at present...not sure about opening the case until neighbour finds or remembers how long he has had the PC. (Thinking warranty here!)

I'm fairly sure that once I've confirmed the mainboard is in fact Intel then I should be safe to use the driver on the CD which came with the PC, it is a specific drivers CD for that machine, and has folders named MAINBOARD, MODEM, NETWORK, RAID, etc..

Opening the MAINBOARD folder has three sub folders, INTEL, SIS and VIA.

Opening the INTEL folder has one sub folder, INF UPDATE.

Inside this folder is the infinst_enu file.

I would assume that the manufacturer would not have supplied a CD with only one driver file for Intel if there was a possibility that it was the wrong one. (???)

So on that basis, and once having determined that the mainboard is in fact INTEL, then how do I use that file to install the driver?

But thanks for your warning, if you still require the exact make of mainboard, and chip of course, please post and I will come back in a couple of days once I get my sticky fingers on the PC again.

AndySD 22:00 15 Sep 05
  woodchip 22:07 15 Sep 05

You should be able to right click a INF and choose install in Explorer

woodchip 22:08 15 Sep 05

But doubt that is all there is to Mobo drivers

Stuartli 22:16 15 Sep 05

If it is a Via chipset then Windows will have suitable motherboard drivers itself.

Stuartli 22:19 15 Sep 05

Check System Devices in Device Manager to see if motherboard drivers have been installed.

De Marcus™ 22:21 15 Sep 05

If xp is up and running try belarc or everest to identify components

Stuartli 22:32 15 Sep 05

You can also identify the board from the Bios string:

click here

Totally-braindead 22:33 15 Sep 05

Belarc click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Studio vs iMac 5K comparison review: Apple and Microsoft all-in-one PCs battle it out

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Social media image sizes, specs and aspect ratios: the ultimate guide

New MacBook Pro release date, price and specs | New MacBook Pro 2016 announced: Now with Touch Bar…