installing Linux Mandrake 9.1

tree3 19:20 06 May 03

can anyone tell me a site of instructions to convert a Windows computer into a Linux computer and what the steps are

powerless 19:29 06 May 03

click here

All you have to do really is to allow the computer to BOOT from the CD and just follow the installation instructions. Take your time and your should eventually come to a Linux desktop.

However, when you say convert a Windows computer into a Linux computer, is this an old unused computer with nothing of any importantce installed onto it. If it is then just go ahead and install Linux.

However if this is your computer that you are using now USE CAUTION. If you explain a little more then we can advise you. But if you are going to be installing onto your computer that is using Windows PLEASE MAKE BACKUPS OF YOUR WORK.

Also do you have your Hard drive partitoned?

bab5 19:34 06 May 03

tree 3,

Try click here click here

click here

might help you

tree3 19:58 06 May 03

how do i partition my hard drive

tree3 20:00 06 May 03

how do i partition my hard drive

tree3 20:01 06 May 03

nothing on it

powerless 20:07 06 May 03

Linux can be set Automatically partiton the hard drive.

So just let Linux have it's way.

If you are sure that the computer has nothing on it that you want then just go ahead and install Linux.

If you want to create partitons what operating system do you have, Windows 98 etc?

tree3 20:16 06 May 03

the computer is sh*t and it barely plays any games but i want to use it as a test computer

dazzling 20:16 06 May 03

before you do anything go to the mandrake site and make sure 9.1 suppourts all your hardware.linux as a rule does not suppourt software modems it also did not suppourt the raid on my motherboard.there is a list of suppourted hardware on the site.darren

tree3 20:19 06 May 03

do i still need to partition the hard drive

powerless 20:23 06 May 03

:-( Well i do not have experience with Windows ME (well a little play on the one machine).

But if it's just a "test computer" Then just go ahead and install Linux. Like i say the Linux Partitoner will take care of it.

However, if you are thinking of using Linux straight away then i wouldnt think about it. You have to Learn Linux.

If you have another machine then ok but if this is your only computer then i would recommend that you have both ME and Linux together.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…