Installing Linux and 'Kernels'

spuds 12:11 21 Dec 03

I have just had my computer upgraded, and in the process I requested that my 120gb hard-drive was partitioned.I asked that a Linux [SuSe]Personal 8.2 was installed on a partitioned section.The technician, stated that he had made various attempts, but he was unable to install the Linux, due to 'Kernel'problems. Not being a computer techie, what doe's he mean. Is there a solution to this problem,as I would like to sample Linux on an experimental basis.

The partition was in three sections 80/30/10 approx. Partion Magic 8 was used.

Advice much appreciated.

LastChip 12:21 21 Dec 03

But Redhat or Mandrake will install from the CD if you setup the BIOS to boot from a CD Drive.

The problem is, few technicians understand anything about Linux. I wouldn't put myself in the category of being a Linux guru, but its not hard to install modern distributions of Linux!

Have a look click here for more basic information.

spuds 12:46 21 Dec 03

Lastchip. Thanks for the link, will check it out later. Technician stated that he had tried 'everything' including a new clean drive. Just could not get it to install due to 'kernel' problems.He was unable to give further advice.

I notice on Partition Magic 8 that there is a Linux provision. Looked at downloading and printing the Partition Magic guide, all 120 pages.

powerless 13:20 21 Dec 03

Sounds like a few buggered CDs.

duckers 13:33 21 Dec 03

SuSE 8.2 is pretty old now so if youve got a brand spanker PC there could be parts in there is does not recognise. SuSE is nice, but I use red hat 9 now, which I love.... the only problem is that Redhat are shortly stopping support for 9...
The main problem you might get is if you have a piece of hardware that is not recognised, and Nvidia graphics cards can be troublesome to set up, but once done theyre OK.

spuds 16:24 21 Dec 03

Powerless.Brand new recent 1st time out the box purchase. PCW may not be happy (;o))

duckers.This is what the technician thought,possible conflict with other parts,but couldn,t offer any further advice.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…