Installing the latest driver for a Realtek AC97

Cybermaxx 21:43 13 Feb 05

Though I've updated my graphics card's driver a few times, I've yet to do the same for my sound card. I'm having trouble with a game I just bought and this is a last resort measure.

I've downloaded what I believe to be the correct driver, even though it's about nine times the size of the one currently listed in the Add/Remove progs. for the AC97! Now, what's the procedure for this? Do I overwrite or remove the old one first? Is this update even likely to make much difference or do you think it's unnecessary (I haven't had many problems with previous games)?

LeadingMNMs 22:18 13 Feb 05

I have no idea if updating the driver will solve your problem, but its unlikely for it to cause any problems, partically if the driver is a few months old (i suppose very new ones could be buggy).

I'm not sure what type of file the driver has come in. If its an executable file then I would imagine you just have to run it and it'll do the rest. If its just a driver files then just update it in Device Manager.

hugh-265156 23:37 13 Feb 05

not sure if this will help but if this is an off the shelf computer check the manufacturers website for the correct sound driver if you know what hardware you have. if you built this yourself then visit the motherboard manufacturers website for the driver.

everest home edt. click here will identify your hardware for you if you are unsure and should even give you a link to the manufacturer for the correct drivers as well. install it and click 'computer/summary' and it will list your hardware. find your sound device info here, that may help you get the correct drivers anyway.

if you have windows xp and have installed SP2 then your directX should be up to date at version 9c if you have only got xp SP1 installed then you may want to try updating to directX 9b or 9c as most new games require at least 9b i think to work correctly. you can get it from windows update click here or download and save it from click here it may also be on a game cd you have.

to check which version of directX you have click:

start/run and type 'dxdiag' and click ok then click the 'system' tab and look here for the directX version you have installed.

if you get the sound, graphics and directX up to date and still have a problem check the games support website and look for updates and patches maybe.

can you tell us what the game is called and what the problem with it is please? may help.

Cybermaxx 20:36 14 Feb 05

Thanks for the replies. I did manage to update my sound card's drivers, but that wasn't the problem!

The game is X2:The Threat (a modern day version of Elite, for anyone who played vid. games back in the '80s), and the problem turned out to be my Playstation gamepad USB bridge. it caused the game to freeze randomly. once I uninstalled it everything works fine.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Prehistoric Britain is laid out in these Royal Mail stamp illustrations

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…