Installing a large HDD

Raj2002 01:36 18 Sep 04

Hi
Whats the best way of configing a large 120gbHDD.
I'm still using Windows 2000 Pro.
The first Hdd just failled after 1, Still under warrenty they've sent a new drive.

So what are the best practices with large drives.

LastChip 01:58 18 Sep 04

It depends on what you wish to do with it.

My own preference, is to configure it into at least two partitions. The first, C: is used in the normal manner; operating system, applications etc, and the second is used for all my personal files. I also normally move my address book and such like to D: (or whatever the partition is set as).

If I then get a serious crash, and have to use an image to get the machine up and running again, all my personal data remains unscathed.

Djohn 02:13 18 Sep 04

and I have my main drive partitioned into 20GB for the O/S - Programs/Applications then the remaining 60GB for data. But I also have a second hard drive with an image backed up and compressed to a folder.

In your case the fact the drive crashed, having a separate partition would not have helped but a second drive would have.

Although I have mine partitioned many people say it's better to leave them un-partitioned with XP and NTFS file system.

temp003 05:57 18 Sep 04

I would agree with LastChip. Windows on its own, data stored on separate partition(s).

Note Djohn's warning. Such a config does not remove the need to back up, but it does keep your data intact if you need to reformat C (whether because Windows has failed, or you just want to give it a fresh start from time to time).

Some people even install their programs to another partition but I find that of little use and just over-complicate things.

w2k, with SP4, plus the page file, won't take more than 2GB. Give it enough space for applications, with space to spare, but don't make it too large. My C is 15GB and my w2k plus applications is less than 3GB (but then I don't have large programs).

The rest of the hdd is up to you. You can use the whole remaining space as one partition or drive, or you can have more to store different types of data, such as music files, photos, downloaded programs, Windows updates, etc.

Boot up computer with w2k CD to install. When asked where to install it, you will be shown the partitions on the hdd. If the present C has taken up the whole of the hdd, highlight C and press D to delete the partition. Confirm. The whole of the hdd now becomes unallocated space. Highlight the unallocated space, and press C to create new partition. Enter the size of C you want in MB (1GB=1024MB), press Enter. Now C will be shown with your chosen size. The rest remains unallocated.

Highlight the newly created C, and press Enter to install. Choose format with NTFS and proceed.

After you finish installation and boot into W2k, you can create further partitions, logical drives. Click Start, Run, type diskmgmt.msc and press Enter.

At this stage, if you want to change the drive letter for your CD drives, you can right click the CD drives and select change drive letter, and change it to X or Y. But it's not necessary.

In the lower half, against Disk0, right click the unallocated space and select create new partition.

Choose Extended Partition, and use the whole of the remaining space for the Extended Partition. [That would be my choice, but if you want to leave some space in case you need another primary partition later, you can do so, but the need for another primary partition is unlikely.]

The Extended Partition will be created immediately. The space inside the Extended Partition now becomes free space. Right click free space and select create logical drive. Choose you size. Format with NTFS and leave the remaining options unaltered. Wait for the formatting to finish until you see "Healthy" in the graph for the new logical drive. If you want to create another logical drive, right click the remaining free space and carry on as before.

You don't have to use up all the free space now. You may want new logical drives later as the need arises.

Then when you need to save any document, just save it to the separate partition(s).

Some programs allow you to configure the default folder where the files are saved (e.g. Word, CD ripping programs, email store folder etc). You can change the default location to the other partitions or folders there, to save you navigating to the other partition every time you save.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…