Installing an internal DVD writer on a 'Desk Top'

Rubroy 17:11 19 Jan 05

I am fairly happy with delving into a PC (memory, battery replacement power supply etc.) but need a bit of a confidence boost to tackle the next job as my PC has been less than faithfully stable over the two years I have had it. I run an Evesham AX 1091000081- kit, Axis 2400+ Wonder, Midi Case, 64 MB DDR ATI Radeon 8500 All I Wonder graphic with TV-out & DVI, 120GB hard drive, 512MB DDR RAM with Windows XP Home SP2.

I have bought a new boxed Liteon 16X DVD+/- R: DVD+/-RW :DVD+R Double Layer, drive. Queries: (1) Can I expect any problems with the installation, given that full instructions come with the pack and on a CD? (2) The software is Nero OEM including Nero Express 6 - any comments? (3) Should I install the drive in place of the existing DVD ROM drive or the existing CDRW drive?

I would appreciate comments, helpful hints and any other advice thats going among the knowledgeable! Thanks

ened 17:19 19 Jan 05

DVD will play and record to Cds so I would be inclined to replace the CD writer.

Presumably you know what you are doing so when you turn the machine back on give XP a couple of minutes to find the new hardware and take it from there.

Very straightforward operation - probably easier than : "delving into a PC (memory, battery replacement power supply etc.)"

PAC1 19:58 20 Jan 05

I have an evesham pc (XP2200, 512mb ram, 80 gig harddrive. I recently fitted a DVD writer
(LITE-ON DVDRW SOHW-1653S). I fitted the DVD writer as secondary master and my old DVD rom as slave. Installation was no problem and drive worked. I had to fit a 80 wire cable in place of the 40 wire one as boot screen said i needed one.

Hope this is of some help.

Rubroy 21:34 18 Feb 05

Belated thanks to ened - yes fitting was a doddle. I am interested in what PAC 1 has to say. My PC is also an Evesham.
This is the full story:-
Having had a disastrous experience with a Maxtor external hard drive and its disruptive software, I subsequently purchased a LiteOn 16x internal Dual Format DVD Drive from PC World. This came with a CyberLink Power DVD 5 setup disk and Nero OEM Suite for DVD Rewriters only. The drive works OK and so does the Nero software_up to a point. Initially I could not start the computer as it recycled continuously. Microsoft confirmed that this was a Nero fault and a fix was available. After a couple of abortive tries it seems to have settled down. I then realised that my sound system was all to pot. I read the Cyberlink readme file which informed me that this software supported two speakers and that if I wanted to use my surround Blaster 5+1 system I would have to purchase an Audio Pack upgrade from www. elements .com which could be downloaded on line but included the provision of a CD as well.. With reluctance, since I had no way of knowing in advance that my sound system would be affected by my new DVD drive, I purchased the upgrade by telephone to their German office – which made no difference. I was still only able to get sound from my two rear speakers and from the sub-woofer. Naturally I checked all connections and all is AOK. I waited patiently for the CD to arrive which it duly did. I downloaded it and it made no difference. I contacted Cyberlink and was given complicated but none too clear instructions on how to fix the problem which basically required a reinstallation of the Nero software. I did exactly as requested, short of making any adjustments to the registry which was a second suggestion that I baulked at. I am now no better off than when I started, having spent hours trying put it right. The Cyberlink help line involves filling in a full questionnaire each time one needs to get back to them and the frustration is reaching boiling point. Surely this is not good enough! Why should I not be able to buy a reputable product without being blackmailed into further expense to make it work? I could have lived with this if the ‘cure’ had worked. Now it looks as if I am going to have to find other software which will work with the DVD drive without causing sound system problems. In my case, trying to find a successful back-up system makes me realise why so many people do not back up!

I run Windows XP home on an Evesham AX1091000081-KIT Axis 2400 Wonder. Athlon XP 2400, 120GB Western Digital 7200 UDMA100 hard drive,; 512 MB DDR RAM16, 16X DVD ROM drive. I replaced the original CD - RW IDE drive with the new LiteOn DVD-RW Drive. I have 64MB DDR ATI-Radeon 8500 All-in Wonder Graphics with TV out & DVI; Sound Blaster Audigy Dolby Surround & Firewire with Creative Inspire 5.1 5300 speakers. I am on Bt-Yahoo Broadband.

I want to use the full spec of my PC and apart from that need a reliable backup system. I have several hundreds historical Jpeg files as well as Financial files, e-mails and correspondence and also now want to restore and edit old camcorder files. Therefore, apart from the sound system a reliable backup system is essential.

woodchip 21:40 18 Feb 05

I would connect as Slave on the same Ribbon as the DVD use the DVD just for playing it will make the writer last longer if it's not used for everything. Do not forget to set the jumper on the drive to SL

Rubroy 22:03 18 Feb 05

Woodchip
Thanks, butI think I'm not reading you clearly. I have the new Liteon DVD Writer connected - as the manufacturer suggested - as the Master (jumpers set of course) and on a joint ribbon. My old DVD ROM drive is now connected as slave and works fine. (Actually both drives work fine -its just the sound that doesn't!!) The one query I have on the hardware setting is that the lead from the sound card is connected to the master drive(as it was in the original setup when the master was the DVD ROM). Are you suggesting that it may make a difference to the SOUND if I connect the ne drive as 'Slave'- and what about the sound card lead? I have to say I can't see how changing the master/slave relationship will affect the sound but that may be a measure of my ignorance.

woodchip 22:08 18 Feb 05

Then that's OK if they are working but one as to be Master and the other Slave. Does not matter much which. But best with Master on the end of the Ribbon cable

PAC1 23:36 18 Feb 05

Have you updated Nero to the latest version to sort out your problems. I am currently on version 6.6.0.6

I also have an Audigy sound card.

You need to check in the Creative surround mixer settings that you are set up to use your 5.1 system. (start - all programs - Creative - Sound Blaster Audigy - Creative surround mixer). Click on Advanced mode and select speakers to see what your system is currently set to.

The settings for my computer in Power DVD is 2 speakers as i only have a 4.1 speaker system. If you want to use 5.1 surround sound in power DVD you need to select the Use SPDIF setting under Configuration - Audio tab. This is explained in the Power DVD help file under Configuration - Audio configuration.

Rubroy 00:08 19 Feb 05

Woodchip - Thanks AOK and understood.

PAC 1

I am on Nero Express V6 OEM Suite.Like you I soon realised that my Power DVD software only suppported 2 speakers and much to my annoyance (see my full explanation earllier) I had to purchase the upgrade which (in theory )supports the 5+1 speaker system. I have already checked the SPDIF configuration which now shows a 5.1 configuration as also does the speaker setup in Audio HQ in the Windowss Control Panel. In the latter, three of the speakers are 'grayed out'(solid) and the two rear ones are transparent (outlines) (NB the sixth speaker is only used for digital sound and is not tested) When the test is run the check sound (front, rear speakers etc) only announces the two rear speakers. Back to square one ! Before you ask - no, I have not changed the speaker connections, and yes, I have checked they are all OK. I can't think of any way the speaker connection configurations can have been changed by the software(???)- can you - or any other readers who may be holding their breath on this one ? Thanks for the suggestions so far. Any others gratefully accepted as www. element.com who supply the software for cyberllink and Power DVD have not helped much so far!

Rubroy 00:12 19 Feb 05

PAC 1
Correction to last:~ click here

PAC1 20:16 20 Feb 05

The rear speakers on my 4.1 system are transparent and the front ones are solid.
My 4.1 speaker system is connected to my sound card via a lead with 2 connectors at each end.
I also lost the sound from my rear speakers after my son removed the splitter i
had fitted to allow him to plug his headphones in as well as the speakers.
When he refitted the speaker leads the looked to be pushed fully home but i could no get any sound from my rear speakers. Like you i checked all my settings were correct and couldn't find anything wrong. The connectors on my leads to my speakers are coloured green for the front speakers and black for the rear speakers. On checking the rear speaker lead i found it was not quite fully home where it was connected to the sound card. On inserting it slightly further my rear speakers started working.

If i select 5.1 speakers on my system i get 3 solid speakers and 2 transparent speakers. Could you check your connections again as a faulty lead would also give the same symptoms (the wire could be broken internally.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…