Installing an Internal CD RW Drive

Crashster 23:41 18 Sep 03

I'll be honest - my technical knowledge lies between zilch and none but I'm willing to have a crack. So here's the scenario - I've already got a DVD RW drive but want another separate internal CD rewriter drive. How do I install this and it is likely to have any other conflicts with any thing else on the system e.g. driver conflicts and is it potentially hazarderous messing around with the PC if I'm not a 100% sure with what I am doing? Any help would be greatly appreciated - diagrams would be helpful! Is it worthwhile risking to install it myself, or is it best to seek professional advice?

Bazz2000 00:22 19 Sep 03

Hiya. Its quite simple even for someone without any technical knowledge. On the lead that connects your existing dvd drive to the main board you will find a connector at the end (master) and one in the middle (slave). Basically your two drives have one each. Then you also have to put a power cable in. You should have some spare, pick one and plug in. You can copy your existing drive's connections so you can see where they go. On the back of the drive you will see jumpers(small bits of plastic covering two pins) These have to be set to slave or master, whatever corresponds to which connector is in the drive. I hope ive covered it all. Good luck

hugh-265156 00:47 19 Sep 03

this is something even i can do,its all very easy.all you will need is a screwdriver to open the case and and pliers or tweasers to set the drive jumpers.your cd drive will/should come with detailed install instructions anyway.

your hard disk should be st to master on the primary ide,the cd writer if you are going to use it more than the dvd drive,i would connect to the secondary ide channel as master and the dvd as slave on the secondary ide channel.if you are going to use the dvd drive more often then set it as master and cd as slave.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…