Installing HP DeskJet 5940 - what a pain!

Jon Storm 17:32 18 Aug 06

I've just spent an annoying afternoon installing a new HP Deskjet 5940 under Windows XP Home (SP2). Actually installing it was the easy part, and to be fair it prints just fine. The problem has been getting my PC back under my control and out of HP's.

So far I've removed three unwanted and unauthorised TSRs, two from the Startup folder and one I had to deactivate via MSConfig (HPWuSchd2); I can see at least one more in Windows Task Manager (HPZipM12.exe) that I haven't been able to disable; and I've deleted an extra Windows User account that the HP install routine created, without permission, called "ASP.NET Machine A..." (sic) which was causing my machine to stick at the Windows Choose User screen. Not to mention multiple dodges of a registration process apparently designed to trick me into allowing HP to deluge me with spam.

Does anyone know what HPZipM12.exe does? Does anyone know of a printer manufacturer that _doesn't_ try to take over you computer when you install their software?

VoG II 17:38 18 Aug 06

You need it click here

I have one of these and didn't really have any problem with it. Certainly no spam.

jimv7 17:48 18 Aug 06

Do a custom install and only put the sotfware you want instead of what hp thinks you should have.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac