installing heat sink

pc mad 18:57 08 Nov 04

hello i am about to install a heat sink and fan on to a p4, the new heatsink came with a small tube of thermal paste,how much of this should i put on the cpu, some one was telling me that its best to use thermal pads instead of the paste, so should i get some thermal pads instead?, many thanks for any advice

woodchip 19:02 08 Nov 04

If there is no pad on the heatsink, put about half ins square in the centre of the heatsink, you may be able to see the chip on the CPU just put some on the chip in the centre. Not on both only on one ether Heatsink or CPU

PA28 19:02 08 Nov 04

Use as little paste as possible - the very thinnest smear. It is to ensure that there is an effective (airtight) seal between processor and sink to allow heat to transfer through to the sink. When the processor is running it'll get very hot and the last thing you need is melted gunk running down the sides doing no good at all and possibly some harm.

spuds 19:07 08 Nov 04

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…