installing hdd into enclosure

DAVE J 19:12 01 Dec 06

Hi. bought a hard disc drive (from china apparently) and an enclosure. Ribbon on left fits the slot on the hdd. 4 lead plug on right fits its slot. Straight 4 lead plug in the middle corresponds to pins on the hdd five on the top 4 on the bottom with white vertical plastic pieces covering the two right pins and the two vertical pins second from the right.
Any suggestions for connection or phrasing my questions to this site or google please.
many thanks. Dave

terryf 19:22 01 Dec 06

Is the hard drive to be only one or no 2? If only one you need to set jumpers for a master drive. If as no 2 it needs to be a slave click here for information and if you don't find this ok then google for 'how to set hard drive jumpers'

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:25 01 Dec 06

Ribbon on left fits the slot on the hdd.

IDE cable red stripe to pin 1

4 lead plug on right fits its slot
molex power plug

This is all you need internally
plus power adaptor to power caddy and cable to connect to USB port.

Straight 4 lead plug in the middle corresponds to pins on the hdd five on the top 4 on the bottom with white vertical plastic pieces covering the two right pins and the two vertical pins second from the right.

These pins are for setting the Jumper postion in a caddy the "white vertical plastic piece" must be in the correct postion to set the drive to "master" usually a picture on the drive showing jumper postions for master - slave -cable select.

leave the midle cable off and try it as above.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:27 01 Dec 06

Its being fitted in an "enclosure" I think he means external caddy and therefore drive MUST be set as MASTER.

DAVE J 21:06 01 Dec 06

sorry trouble replying earlier.
External case so assume it will be a slave.
4 white leads into female plug arranged in a row.
Hdd has 5 pins on top 4 below top overlapping on the left.16 diagrams on Hdd for different jumper positions. 4 of each for 16 head 15 head 32gb clip and auto spin disable.
corresponding to 4of each device 0 (master) device 1 (slave)cable select and forcing dev 1 present.
none of these show a position for jumpers leaving 4 pins clear in a row.
Dave

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:44 01 Dec 06

You do not need that cable, DO NOT attatch cable to jumper pins it will wreck the drive.

Make sure jumper is set to master connect IDE cable (with red stripe) and power molex plug 4 pin D shape.

Plug the USB cable from enclosure to PC and power up the caddy.

If you cannot see the drive in My Computer then right clck My computer - manage - storage - disk mangement - highlight the drive right click and select initialize and then format.

Eric10 22:50 01 Dec 06

See if this link helps with the jumpers. click here. As Fruit Bat /\0/\ says the 5 and 4 row pins are for the jumpers and you must not attempt to plug any wires onto them. Also, as he says, when fitted in an external USB enclosure the drive needs to be jumpered as Master because it is a USB device so doesn't form part of the normal IDE setup.

DAVE J 23:05 01 Dec 06

great help gents. thanks alot giving it a try now will let u know reults if i don't blow my computer up.

Simsy 10:34 02 Dec 06

the Hard Drive?

I got caught out with the jumpers settings on one of these recently...

I was installing a Western Digital HD and set the jumper to "MASTER"... it transpires that with a Western Digital HD this setting is only needed if there is a Slave as well... If it is the only HD on the cable the jumper needs to be either left off, or put on the CS position.

Having said that, there may be something unusual about the enclosure here... DAVE J you mention that a "Straight 4 lead plug in the middle corresponds to pins on the hdd five on the top 4 on the bottom"

I defer completely to the advice given by Fruit Bat /\0/\ , but this sounds unusual to me.

Regards,

Simsy

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced