Installing Hardware Problems with XP

Ricky62 16:53 26 Dec 04

Hi

I use Windows XP but whenever I try to install some new hardware using the USB, the wizard kicks in, searches then says it is unable to install the hardware. This has happened with a Card Reader, Epson Printer, a Camera and a DVD Drive. Is there is something switched off within my system that prevents me from installing any new hardware?

Hope someone can help

pinfog1 17:10 26 Dec 04

You could always try uninstalling the usb controllers in 'Device Manager' (and check they are not disabled in the BIOS)

I suppose you are aware that most usb devices require the driver installed first before the device is connected.

Good Luck

Ricky62 17:16 26 Dec 04

Thanks for the advice. How do I check that the usb is disabled in the bios or not?

pinfog1 17:31 26 Dec 04

To check whether your USB is installed:
>Start;>Run; type MSINFO (or MSINFO32 depending on which windows you use);>OK
>components; and you should see USB at the bottom of the list.

Alternatively check in device manager.
press the Windows key and Pause/Break key together then click the Hardware tab. click Device Manager; clcik the '+' sign next to USB and you should see something like USB host controller and USB root hub. IF NOT post a response again on the forum or you could look in the bios.

Messing about in the BIOS can cause problems if you dont know what you're doing. Check the other ways first

To enter the BIOS: at boot up (when all the white text on the black background appears) it should tell you how to enter SETUP usually by pressing 'Delete' or 'F2'

Ricky62 17:46 26 Dec 04

Thanks again

I've had a look in the device mamager and I do have the USB root hub and a intel 82801aa usb host controller so I think it is installed ok. Perhaps something else is clashing to prevent a succesful install. I had no problems installing thedse devices on my laptop

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:10 26 Dec 04

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…