Installing Harddrive - cables (please reply ASAP)

gplatt2000 15:01 28 Apr 03

I am about to insatall my new HD. REading the instructions for installing my new HD (thanks again to everyone who has helped me in numerous previous posts - I like to make sure I wont mess it up) it says to use an Ultra ATA/100 cable 'for optimum performance'.
Q1.)What is this - instructions say it is recognised by blue grey and black sockets.
Q2.) I don't thinik I have one of these - mine is just a fat grey cable, with all connecters being black. What cable is mine and will it be suitable?
Q3.) Instructions say that for an Ultra ATA/100 cable the connecters must be connected in a certain order - is this the case for my normal cable?
Thanks in advance, Gavin

LastChip 15:08 28 Apr 03

How old is the computer?

Is this drive going to be a secondary drive?

What colour is the socket your data cable plugs into at the motherboard?

Do you have a motherboard manual?

Lozzy 15:08 28 Apr 03

If you only have the solid grey cable with black connectors that will do. However for the faster transfer rate you will need ATA/100 cable this can be obtained from any decent PC component supplier.. or if you have to PC World..

MartinT-B 15:13 28 Apr 03

If You're buying a new IDE cable (maplin are cheap) get one that says IDE/ATA133. It's almost the same price and is better than 100.

This has 3 blue connectors on it Board, Master and Slave) and on Older boards should be connected to IDE1 on your MoBo, which could be blue. Much Older MoBo's only have 2 black sockets, newer Boards have 2 blue Sockets.

gplatt2000 15:20 28 Apr 03

I think I will keep the existing cable (I am selling the PC and itis about 5 years old.)

Lastchip:
The drive will be a slave at fist but then (once formatted) a master. The cable plugs into the Primary IDE socket on the mobo.

I think I may have a problem. Lokking at the cables, one comes from the Primary IDE to the CD ROM, then from there down to the HD - there is no other sppare connecter. I may have to just use one HD (ditch the old one - its only a few Gb anyway) Any other suggestions?

gplatt2000 15:36 28 Apr 03

Forgot to say - there is also I cable running from the floppy drive connector on the mobo to the floppy drive - this has a spare connecter. Would it be possible (by the sound of the connecters name on the mobo it wont)to run this cable from the floppy connecter on the mobo, to the CD drive, and from there to the floppy, freeing up both connecters on the other cable for obth hard drives. Thanks again, GAvin

LastChip 15:36 28 Apr 03

Temporarily disconnect your CD from the cable and connect the new hard drive making sure it is configured as a slave drive. Your existing cable will work, but the drive will not work at it's maximum potential.

Fdisk and format the drive, (or use the disk manufacturers program) and set the first partition to be active. If it's only one partition, then set that to active.

Now remove your existing drive, re-connect your new one and the CD drive, and load your operating system.

The only potential problem I can see, is if your motherboard BIOS, does not support the size of drive you have purchased, in which case you will have to use layering software, to trick the system into accepting the drive. This is available from the hard drive manufacturers web site.

LastChip 15:37 28 Apr 03

No!

LastChip 15:39 28 Apr 03

When re-connecting the hard drive, re-configure as "Master".

LastChip 15:39 28 Apr 03

When re-connecting the hard drive, re-configure as "Master".

gplatt2000 15:42 28 Apr 03

Thanks a lot LastChip - So I could get my new drive working, but it would mean doing away with the old one? (my new one should work - it is only 20 Gb).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…